Quick cooking shrimp fajitas are the perfect easy to make weeknight night meal. Simply saute up these chilli spiced shrimp along with fajita veggies then serve with tortillas and your favourite toppings for a family pleasing meal in only 20 minutes.
Tacos. Fajitas. Quesadillas.
I just can’t get enough of Tex Mex meals, and when I can get them on the table in under 20 minutes, I’m really happy.
These shrimp fajitas are my idea of the perfect midweek meal: minimal fussing, full of flavour, quick to get on the table, and the perfect receptacle for two of my main food loves: guacamole and pico de gallo.
The seasoning for these fajitas is simple, but flavourful and chances are you already have them in your cupboard – so no running out for fancy ingredients.
I make my fajitas in a cast iron skillet because I love the sear and char it gives to vegetables and meat, if you do not have one, any large skillet will do.
How to make shrimp fajitas
Rinse and pat dry the shrimp then place them in a large bowl.
Add the chili powder, cumin and garlic powder then season generously with sea salt and pepper. Give everything a good stir so that the shrimp are all nicely coated with the seasoning.
place your cast iron skillet (or other large skillet) over medium heat and give it a few minutes to heat up.
Add some cooking oil, then the peppers and onions. Season the veggies with sea salt and pepper, then cook the veggies for about 5 minutes, tossing occasionally. You want the veggies to be heated through, but still crisp when they are done.
When the veggies have cooked, remove them from the skillet and set aside.
Place the skillet back on the burner, and add the seasoned shrimp.
The cooking time for your shrimp will vary based on the size of them, but no matter what the size it shouldn’t take more than a couple of minutes per side. I like to cook the shrimp on the first side until I can see that it has cooked through to the middle ( the flesh will be opaque) then flip them over and cook on the second side for another couple of minutes.
When the shrimp have cooked, remove them from the pan and serve along with the fajita veggies, tortillas and condiments.
What to serve with shrimp fajitas
The classic condiments for shrimp fajitas are shredded lettuce, pico de gallo and sometimes cheese, but you can serve them with any toppings you like! Some suggestions are:
- trade the lettuce for chopped spinach or micro-greens for a nutritional boost
- sliced avocado
- pickled onions
- avocado salsa verde
- sliced limes
Dietary Considerations and Accommodations
This recipe for shrimp fajitas is suitable for the following diets:
- dairy free
- for low carb, gluten free or paleo serve with lettuce wraps instead of tortillas
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
More recipes you’ll love!
If you like these shrimp fajitas, you might want to check out some of our other delicious and healthy shrimp recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
- cast iron skillet
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 lbs shrimp peeled and cleaned
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1 green pepper sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 18 small flour tortillas
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- Pat the shrimp dry, then add them to a bowl with the chili powder, cumin and garlic powder. Season with sea salt and pepper, then mix well and set aside.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet to medium heat high and add a splash of oil.
- Add the sliced peppers and onions to the skillet and cook while tossing often. The veggies are done when they are warmed through, but still firm.
- Remove the veggies from the pan and add the shrimp cook while tossing often until the shrimp have turned pink. This should only take a couple of minutes depending on the size of your shrimp
- Serve the shrimp and veggies together, along with the flour tortillas and your favourite toppings.