Spiced shrimp, creamy cilantro slaw, cherry tomato pico de gallo and diced avocado on a quinoa base. This shrimp taco bowl is a heavenly mix of the best taco flavours but in a bowl, and without all the mess of eating tacos.
For days when I feel like tacos but don't feel like eating a bunch of shells or dealing with the mess that comes with eating food out of your hands, I'm thankful for bowl style meals like these.
This shrimp taco bowl has all the best parts of the taco world: spiced shrimp, creamy cilantro slaw, fresh pico de gallo and everyone's favourite, avocado. Served over some quinoa to round it out, it's everything you know and love about tacos all wrapped up in an easy to eat with a fork kind of package.
Best thing? It all comes together in under 30 minutes and it's guaranteed to bring you as much joy as tacos.
How to make shrimp taco bowls
Start by getting your quinoa cooking with either stock or water. I like to use stock because I like the extra flavour but it's totally up to you.
While your stock is cooking, mix up the slaw.
Throw the mayo, lime juice, cilantro and salt in a blender and blend until smooth then toss the shredded cabbage with it.
Dice up your cherry tomatoes, red onion and cilantro and mix together with a little salt to make your pico de gallo.
Then season up your shrimp and fry up for a couple of minutes in a skillet over medium heat.
To put everything together, serve up some quinoa, add some slaw, top with the cooked shrimp and generously add pico de gallo and diced avocado. If you feel like going crazy go ahead and throw some salsa and sour cream on there too - I promise you won't regret it.
Dietary Considerations and Accommodations
This shrimp taco recipe is suitable for the following diets:
More recipes you’ll love!
If you like this shrimp taco bowl, you might want to check out some of our other delicious shrimp recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Shrimp Taco Bowl
- 2 cups stock
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 avocado - diced
- 1 pound shrimp - peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cups shredded purple and green cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro - stems and leaves
- 1.5 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
Pico de gallo
- 1⁄2 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- 1.5 Tablespoons red onion
- 1 Tablespoon minced cilantro
- sea salt
- Add the quinoa to a small pot along with the stock.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer. Leave the pot uncovered, then allow the quinoa to cook until the stock has been absorbed.
- Place a lid on the pot, then set aside off the heat.
- Season the shrimp with the chipotle powder, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, and season with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Add the mayo, lime juice, cilantro and sea salt to a blender then blend until smooth.
- mix together the diced tomatoes, red onion and cilantro to make the pico de gallo, then season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat and add a small amount of oil to it. When the skillet is hot, add the shrimp.
- Cook on the first side for about 2 minutes, then flip the shrimp over and cook on the second side for another 2 minutes.
* nutritional information is calculated by online tools and may not be 100% accurate.