This refreshing black bean and corn salad is a healthy plant based side dish featuring avocado, red pepper and tomato with a light cilantro lime dressing. Perfect as a hearty side dish or light lunch this salad is easy to make, and perfect for any occasion.
Always a hit in hot weather, this black bean and corn salad features refreshing flavours we all know and love. You've got creamy avocado, sweet red bell peppers, piles of fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
It's a hearty mix of fresh veggies and beans that worked equally as well as a side dish or as a light healthy lunch. I love making a big batch of this salad and having something quick, easy and healthy to munch on throughout the week.
While this recipe tastes its best as written, it is also really forgiving. No tomato? no problem. Out of red pepper? Minor flavour loss, but totally deal-able. I absolutely love salads like this - made from pantry ingredients, where a missing ingredient or two doesn't totally sabotage the dish. I always keep a pantry stocked with canned beans for this black bean and corn salad, and my other favourite pantry salad, bean salad.
How to make it
Start by draining and rinsing the canned black beans and corn then place them in a bowl and gather the rest of your ingredients.
Chop up your red pepper, tomato, onion, avocado and cilantro and then add everything but the avocado to the salad bowl.
Dress with the lime juice and olive oil and season well with sea salt then give the salad a good mix.
Finally, add the avocado to the salad and gently stir it in.
Tips and Tricks
- This is a great make ahead salad. Just don't add the avocado until you are ready to serve because it will brown if you do.
- This recipe calls for canned corn, but fresh or frozen are also great to use if that's what you have on hand.
- For the best results use fresh limes for this salad, but if you only have lime juice on hand go ahead and add 2-3 tablespoons of it to substitute.
Are you on Pinterest? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas.
Want to see more recipes like this?? Sign up for our newsletter to have new recipes delivered to your inbox, follow us on Instagram or like our Facebook page.
More Recipes You'll Love!
If you like this black bean and corn salad, you might want to check out some of our other healthy side salad recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Mexican Black Bean and Corn Salad
* This recipe card may contain affiliate links to products we know and love. We earn a small commission on qualified sales at no cost to you.
- 1 can black beans (drained)
- 1 can corn (drained)
- 1 avocado (diced)
- 1 roma tomato (diced)
- 1 red pepper (diced)
- 3 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 limes (juice of)
- 1⁄3 bunch cilantro (minced)
- sea salt and pepper
- Drain and rinse the black beans and corn then place in a large bowl.
- Add the diced tomato, red pepper, and red onion along with the avocado oil, lime juice, minced garlic and cilantro and season well with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Give the salad a good mix to combine, then add the diced avocado and gently mix through.