This comforting lentil casserole is a family favourite! Lentils and kidney beans are simmered with diced tomatoes, rosemary, and garlic then topped with shredded cheddar cheese and then put in the oven for a quick broil for this easy weeknight meal you will want to eat on repeat.
Keeping with the comfort theme this week, I want to share with you one of my most favourite easy vegetarian meals. I’ve been making this one for YEARS and it’s one I come back to time and time again because it is SO simple, totally comforting and absolutely delicious.
One of my favourite things about this recipe (besides the ooey gooey melted cheese) is that is it made from pantry ingredients. This lentil casserole has been a dinner saviour many nights when I hadn’t planned a thing and had no idea what to do.
Calling it a casserole might be a bit of a stretch because 95% of the cooking is done stovetop, but ‘bean stuff’ which is the term I’ve come to call it by around the house just didn’t sound as appealing.
It’s kind of like chilli but seasoned with rosemary and garlic in a pot with cheese melted onto it. If cheddar isn’t your thing, mozzarella, Monterey Jack or pretty much any other melting cheese would be good here, including your favourite melting vegan cheese.
How to make this quick lentil casserole:
Heat a large pot to medium heat and add the olive oil. When the olive oil is heated add the celery and onion and cook them until they begin to soften then add the diced tomatoes, kidney beans, lentils, garlic and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper, then bring the pot to a boil.
Once the pot is boiling, reduce the heat to a low simmer and allow it to cook for 20 minutes.
When the mixture is cooked, transfer it to an oven-safe dish then top with the grated cheese and broil on high for 2-4 minutes or until the cheese melts.
What to serve with this lentil casserole
When I serve this at home we just grab a plate and dig in but it would be equally as awesome with a side salad or some other form of green veggies.
Dietary Considerations and Accommodations
This recipe for easy bean salad is suitable for the following diets:
- for vegan, substitute cheddar for your favourite vegan melting cheese
- clean eating
- gluten free
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
More recipes you’ll love!
If you like this lentil casserole, you might want to check out some of our other comforting vegetarian recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 rib celery finely diced
- onion finely diced
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 19 oz can lentils (drained)
- 1 19 oz can kidney beans (drained)
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or your favourite vegan melting cheese)
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the diced celery and onions to the pot and sautee for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the drained beans, lentils and diced tomatoes to the pot along with the rosemary and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then once it is boiling reduce the temperature to low to gently simmer for 20 minutes.
- Set your oven to broil on high.
- Pour the lentil and bean mixture into a skillet or small casserole dish and cover with the shredded cheese.
- Broil the dish for 2-4 minutes or until the cheese melts and begins to crisp.