Tortilla chips simmered in red chili sauce then topped with a fried egg. Red Chilaquiles is a comforting and flavourful breakfast and the perfect way to use up leftover homemade tortilla chips!
If you're looking to add an easy and flexible breakfast to your rotation, you really need to give chilaquiles a try. If you have the necessary ingredients on hand (tortilla chips and enchilada sauce) you can have them on the table in about 10 minutes.
What are chilaquiles?
Chilaquiles is a traditional Mexican breakfast dish that consists of tortillas simmered in sauce. This sauce is usually red chili sauce or salsa verde.
Topping chilaquiles with egg is optional, but highly recommended!
- Tortilla chips - the best kind to use fresh corn tortilla chips. It's quick and easy to make your own if you don't have any on hand.
- Red chili sauce - aka enchilada sauce. You could use store bought, or try making your own!
- Eggs - optional, but highly recommended. Serve them any way you like (fried, scrambled etc).
- Cojita cheese - if you can't find cojita, an excellent substitute is feta.
- Crema - if this is not available for you, you can substitute with sour cream or creme fraishe. In either case you will need to thin it out a bit with some water to get the right consistency.
- Cilantro - the perfect flavour enhancer for Mexican food, don't forget to give your plate a sprinkle of it!
How to make it
Heat a large skillet to medium heat then add the red chili sauce and let it heat through. Add the tortilla chips and then gently toss them around to evenly cover them in the red chili sauce.
Heat a nonstick skillet to medium heat, add a bit of oil the crack them gently into the pan. let cook until the whites of the eggs have set.
To serve, divide the chilaquiles between two plates, top with an egg, then drizzle with crema and sprinkle with feta cheese.
Tips for the best chilaquiles
Serve them fresh. Chilaquiles should be both crisp AND saucy. For best results serve them immediately after cooking.
Add more toppings. On their own chilaquiles is a simple dish, but the list of toppings are endless! Try some diced avocado and pico de gallo.
Add a side to round out the meal. Mexican black beans are a great suggestion!
Are you on Pinterest? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas.
Want to see more recipes like this?? Sign up for our newsletter to have new recipes delivered to your inbox, follow us on Instagram or like our Facebook page.
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Red Chilaquiles with Egg
- Add the red chili sauce to a skillet and heat it to medium heat. Place the tortilla chips on top of the sauce and gently stir them around under the tortillas are coated and heated through.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan to medium heat and add a splash of oil to it. Gently crack the eggs into the pan and fry until the egg has set.
- To serve, divide the tortillas between two plates, top with the fried eggs, then drizzle with crema and sprinkle with cheese.