These easy breakfast tostadas are full of fresh Mexican flavour and packed with healthy protein. Crunchy corn tostadas topped with creamy refried black beans, a fried egg and mashed avocado – kind of like nachos for breakfast
Mexican food is one of my favourite cuisines. I love all of the flavours – salsas, guacamole, beans, tortillas etc. Mexican for breakfast is one of my favourite treats, and when eating out I will always opt for some kind of Mexican inspired dish if it’s available on the menu.
I find that making Mexican recipes at home is a pretty involved process – there is usually a lot of prep work to do: salsas, guacamole, fillings, toppings etc, and sometimes I want all the Mexican flavours without all the work. Enter easy breakfast tostadas.
These easy breakfast tostadas are perfect for the days that you are craving those Mexican flavours, but don’t have the time to deal with a long list of things to prepare for the meal. Even though the ingredient list is short on items, these vegetarian tostadas are packed full of fresh vibrant flavour.
How to make easy breakfast tostadas
Store bought tostadas (available in the international foods section of most grocery stores) and canned black beans are the key to quickly pulling these tostadas together. If you can’t find store-bought tostadas in your area, you can easily make them at home by frying up fresh corn tortillas in a pan filled with oil.
Heat a medium sized non-stick frying pan to medium heat and add the can of drained black beans. Heat them up for a couple of minutes while stirring the beans around so they don’t burn to the bottom of the pan.
Begin by adding the chilli powder to the pan and seasoning with salt and pepper.
Start mashing the beans with the back of a fork adding water one tablespoon at a time until they reach the right consistency – you are looking to mash the beans and add just enjoy water so that bean mixture is paste-like, but not runny. If you do add too much water by mistake you can also just cook the beans a little longer until the mixture firms up.
In another non-stick frying pan cook your eggs. I like mine sunnyside up for these tostadas because I just love the runny yolk combines with all the other flavours, but if that is not your thing go ahead and make them scrambled or poached, or however else you like your eggs.
Mash up the avocado with a pinch of sea salt and a squeeze of lime juice. Fresh is best, but if you have a pre-squeezed lime juice in your fridge go ahead and use that.
Top each tostada with some of the refried black beans, an egg, and some of the smashed avocado.
I topped my breakfast tostadas with my favourite hot sauce and homemade pickled onions. If you haven’t had homemade pickled onions before you are missing out! My favourite recipe for them comes from Lena’s Kitchen. Check out her pickled onion recipe – we always have a jar of them in our house.
This recipe for easy breakfast tostadas is suitable for the following diets:
- gluten free and dairy free
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
MORE VEGETARIAN BREAKFAST RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
If you like these easy breakfast tostadas, you might want to check out some of our other easy vegetarian breakfast recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Easy Breakfast Tostadas
Quick refried black bean tostadas with a fried egg and smashed avocado
- 4 to tostadas
- 1 19 fl oz can black beans drained
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 lime
- sea salt
- garnishes such as hot sauce cilantro, pickled onions, pico de gallo etc
- Heat a medium non-stick fry pan to medium heat and add the drained black beans. Heat the black beans in the pan while stiring so they don't burn and stick to the pan.
- After heating the black beans for a couple of minutes, add the chilli powder and season with salt and pepper. Begin mashing the black beans with the back of your fork. Add water one tablespoon at a time until the bean mixture has a bit of a paste like consistency.
- Remove the avocado from its skin and mash it in a small bowl with a pinch of sea salt and the juice from a slice of lime.
- Put the oil in a large non-sitck frying pan and heat to a medium temperature. Crack the eggs into the pan ensuring that you don't break the yolks. Cook the eggs to your desired level of doneness - for sunnyside up I like to place a large lid on top of the pan so that the top of the eggs cook well.
- To build your tostadas, spread each with some of the refried black beans, and top with an egg and some mashed avocado.
- Serve with optional garnishes like hot sauce, cilantro, pickled onions, pico de gallo or chopped tomato.