Scrambled tofu breakfast tacos are a quick and easy high protein breakfast option that is full of fresh Mexican flavour.
Tacos for breakfast? Yes please!
I absolutely LOVE eggs for breakfast, and one of my favourite breakfast options has always been any variation of a breakfast burrito. I had heard about tofu as a scrambled egg alternative, but it took me quite some time to get around to trying it.
Honestly, I wish that I had tried scrambled tofu sooner, because these scrambled tofu breakfast tacos are amazing, and I don’t miss the egg in them at all – in fact, I PREFER the scrambled tofu.
Why do we love these breakfast tacos so much?
- They are super healthy and taste great
- Scrambled tofu is so much lighter feeling on the stomach than eggs first thing in the morning
- Quick clean up. Honestly, the pan pretty much only requires a quick wipe down (WIN!!) can’t say the same thing about cleaning up after scrambled eggs….
If you are not familiar with nutritional yeast or hemp hearts, please do not skip these ingredients! The nutritional yeast provides a creamy texture and almost cheesy like flavour to the scrambled tofu while adding extra protein to the dish as well as a serious dose of B vitamins, including B12. The hemp hearts add a nice almost nutty flavour to the tacos, and they also provide an extra punch in protein as well as a healthy fat.
You could make these scrambled tofu breakfast tacos on any tortilla you like. We like to serve ours on Food for Life Sprouted Corn Tortillas. You can find these guys in the frozen health foods section in your grocery store. We prefer the corn tortillas to flour as they are lower in calories and net carbs, and the sprouted corn option provides you with more micronutrients.
This recipe for scrambled tofu breakfast tacos is suitable for the following diets:
- vegan and vegetarian
- clean eating
- gluten free, dairy free, and allergy friendly
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
If you like these scrambled tofu breakfast tacos, you might want to check out some of our other breakfast recipes:
- Miso breakfast oats
- Savoury steel cut oats with chimichurri
- Easy breakfast tostadas
- Banana walnut pancakes
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Scrambled Tofu Breakfast Tacos
- 1/3 package extra firm tofu
- 2 tsp tahini
- 8 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 shallot minced
- 1 tsp olive oil (or cooking oil of your choice)
- 6 tsp hemp hearts
- 4 Food For Life Sprouted Corn tortillas thawed
- 1/4 cup green onions (for garnish)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped, (for garnish)
- 1/2 lime cut into wedges
- 8 cherry tomatoes diced (for garnish)
- Place the tofu in a bowl and use a fork to mash until it is crumbled. Add tahini and nutritional yeast to the bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the shallot and cook for 2 minutes, or until slightly translucent.
- Add tofu to the skillet and cook until mixture is heated through - about 5 minutes
- Fill tortillas with tofu mixture. Divide hemp hearts by 4 and sprinkle on top of the filled tortillas.
- Garnish according to taste and enjoy!