These vegetarian breakfast burritos are packed with scrambled egg, black beans, seasoned peppers and cheese. Top with salsa and guacamole for a Mexican inspired breakfast! These burritos are a great make ahead breakfast option too - freezer instructions included!
Breakfast burritos are a beautiful thing. They are flavourful, portable and best of all if you're a Mexican food lover like me (hello breakfast tostadas) you get to bring some of your favourite flavours to breakfast time.
The only problem with breakfast burritos is that they can be quite involved to make - which is usually more effort than I want to put in to eating in the morning.
These breakfast burritos are simple to make and all the ingredients hold up well in the freezer which is great news! Make a batch of these breakfast burritos and you can pop some into the freezer for later and have breakfast burritos any time you want them.
Why you're going to love these!
- Delicious vegetarian breakfast option - These burritos are packed with flavor from the veggies to the cheese to the black beans. You won't even miss the meat!
- Freezer friendly - freezer storage and re-heat instructions are included so you can freeze these for a healthy breakfast on the go.
- Simple ingredient list - these burritos rely on a couple of core ingredients for flavor keeping the shopping list down and the prep time uncomplicated.
- peppers and onion - I used red and green peppers with a yellow onion, but any combination of your favourites will do.
- chili powder & cumin - the seasonings for our veggie and black bean mixture.
- Salsa - my favourite brands are la Costena and Herdez. They are both have truly authentic flavour and aren't sweet like most other grocery store salsas.
- eggs - these are breakfast tacos, so theirs gotta be eggs in there 🙂
- black beans - from a can and drained, easy peasy.
- cheese - I used a mix of cheddar and jalapeno Monterray jack. Go ahead and use whatever you love best here.
- tortillas - 10 inch flour tortillas. I used white, but you could use whole wheat here. Just be aware that whole wheat tortillas are usually less pliable than white tortillas and you will have a harder time rolling the burritos.
How to make them
Prepare the breakfast burrito filling.
Heat a bit of oil in a large skillet then add the red and green peppers along with the onion and the seasonings and season with sea salt and pepper. Cook until the veggies have softened then add the black beans and cook for a few more minutes until everything is heated through. Set the filling aside in a bowl for later.
Cook the eggs.
Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk until blended. Season with salt and pepper then pour them into your skillet and cook while stirring often with a spatula until the eggs are set.
Fill and roll your burritos.
Place ⅙ of the eggs on the first third of the tortilla then top with salsa and ⅙ of the cheese and the filling. Fold in the ends of the burrito then fold up the short side of the tortilla. Begin to roll the burrito over while tucking in the filling and continue rolling until the burrito is closed. Place it seam side down and continue rolling the rest of the burritos.
Bake the burritos. Place the rolled burritos on a baking sheet and bake at 400ºF for 15 minutes or so until the burritos are heated through and the tortilla has crisped up.
Tips and Tricks
Make ahead of time. The burritos can be prepped ahead of time and then bake when ready to eat. Simply roll the burritos and place in an airtight container in the fridge until you are ready to bake and eat them.
Save some in the freezer. These make great freezer burritos. See below for instructions!
Have some patience. If you're rolling burritos for the first time there may be a bit of a learning curve to get the roll right. Don't worry, with practice you'll be rolling them like a pro!
To freeze the burritos:
Wrap each burrito in a paper towel then cover it with aluminium foil before placing inside a freezer bag.
To reheat the burritos:
Microwave method: First, remove the aluminium foil from the burrito and microwave for 3-4 minutes turning once halfway through
Oven method: remove the foil and the paper towel and bake in a 400℉ oven for 30-40 minutes.
More recipes you’ll love!
If you like these vegetarian breakfast burritos, you might want to check out some of our other vegetarian breakfast recipes!
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Vegetarian Breakfast Burritos
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1⁄2 red pepper - diced
- 1⁄2 green pepper - diced
- ½ onion - diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 19 oz can black beans - drained
- 8 eggs
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 10 inch flour tortillas
- ½ cup salsa
- salt and pepper
- Heat a skillet to medium heat and add the avocado oil.
- When the pan is hot, add the red and green pepper to the pan along with the chili powder. Season with salt and pepper.
- Saute the vegetables for 3-4 minutes stirring often until they begin to soften.
- Beat the eggs together then season with salt and pepper while the peppers are cooking.
- When the peppers have finished cooking remove them from the skillet.
- Add the eggs to the skillet and scramble until the eggs have almost set then add the pinto beans and stir until the eggs have fully set and the beans have warmed.
To build the burritos:
- Place ⅙ of the cheese along the tortilla about ⅓ of the way to the edge then top with ⅙ of the egg mixture. Top with a bit of salsa.
- Close the burrito by folding in the top and bottom edges towards the middle, then fold in the short side of the tortilla. Roll the burrito until it is closed and place it seam side down on a plate.
- Continue until all the burritos have been rolled.
- Heat a large frying pan to medium heat and add as many of the rolled burritos as you can to it seam side down. Allow it to heat and seal for a minute before turning the burritos to crisp up all the sides.
- Continue crisping the burritos until they are all crisped.
- Serve with salsa
* nutritional information is calculated by online tools and may not be 100% accurate.
Sharon Chen says
Love that this recipe can be reheated and prepared beforehand. Perfect for moms like me. This also looks so yummy!
Thanks so much!
What a delicious, hearty breakfast! I love that you can freeze them for a grab & go breakfast on those busy weekday mornings. Can't wait to make up a batch this weekend.
I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
You can roll a mean burrito!! I always overfill mine. With that said, they look delicious, and I love that they can be pre-made, great for grab and go breakfast!
Well thank you!!!! I love a grab and go breakfast too 🙂
I love prepping breakfast burritos ahead of time and having them handy in the freezer! This recipe helps me make a much healthier version than the potato laden ones I'm used to. Thanks!
I'm glad that I could help you out there!
I love this idea. Especially that it can be made ahead for meal prep. ?
This has become a family favourite breakfast - we have made it three times in the last week! So tasty and easy.
I'm thrilled you've been enjoying them so much!
Made these for breakfast this morning and they were a hit with the entire family. Next time I'll double the recipe to freeze some! Thanks for the rolling tips, that helped a lot.