These vegetarian breakfast burritos are packed with scrambled egg, pinto beans, seasoned peppers and cheese. Top with salsa and guacamole for a Mexican inspired breakfast! These burritos are a great make ahead breakfast option - freezer instructions included!
Breakfast burritos are a beautiful thing. I'll take anything Mexican for breakfast (breakfast tostadas anyone?) The only problem with breakfast burritos is that sometimes they are quite involved to make - more time to put in for breakfast that I want to do to eat breakfast burritos more often than on a lazy weekend.
These breakfast burritos are simple to make, and all the ingredients hold up well in the freezer which is great news! Make these breakfast burritos once, and you can eat one whenever the mood strikes!
To prepare the breakfast burrito filling
Start by sauteeing the diced red and green peppers with a bit of oil in a skillet over medium heat.
When the peppers have cooked, remove them from the skillet and add a splash more oil before adding the beaten and seasoned eggs.
Scramble the eggs until they are just about set, then add the pinto beans. Continue stirring the mixture until the eggs have fully set and the pinto beans have warmed.
To build the burritos
Have your egg filling, shredded cheese and salsa ready and waiting in bowls.
Take a tortilla and spread out ⅙ of the egg mixture along the first third it then top with some salsa and ⅙ of the shredded cheese as shown.
Fold in the two sides of the burrito and then fold up the bottom to begin rolling it in.
Roll the burrito with both hands while holding the sides in and also trying to keep the filling tucked in. This part is a little bit tricky, but you will get the hang of it after a try or two.
Roll the burrito the rest of the way to close it, and place it seam side down.
Continue filling and rolling the burritos until all six are done.
Place the burritos on a baking sheet and put them in the oven for 15 minutes or so to crisp them up and heat them through.
If you are making the burritos ahead of time, once they are rolled you can seal them in an airtight container for a day or two and then bake them in the oven when you are ready to eat.
To freeze and reheat freezer breakfast burritos
Wrap each burrito in a paper towel then cover it with aluminium foil before placing inside a freezer bag.
To reheat there are a couple of methods.
First, remove the aluminium foil from the burrito and microwave for 3-4 minutes turning once halfway through
Second, remove the foil and the paper towel and bake in a 400℉ oven for 30-40 minutes.
Dietary Considerations and Accommodations
This recipe for vegetarian freezer breakfast burritos is suitable for the following diets:
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
More recipes you’ll love!
If you like these vegetarian freezer breakfast burritos, you might want to check out some of our other vegetarian recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Freezer Breakfast Burritos
* This recipe card may contain affiliate links to products we know and love. We earn a small commission on qualified sales at no cost to you.
- 8 eggs
- 19 oz canned pinto beans (drained)
- 6 oz cheddar cheese (about a cup and a half shredded)
- 1⁄2 green pepper (diced)
- 1⁄2 red pepper ( diced)
- 1⁄2 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 6 10 inch flour tortillas
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- Heat a skillet to medium heat and add the avocado oil.
- When the pan is hot, add the red and green pepper to the pan along with the chili powder. Season with salt and pepper.
- Saute the vegetables for 3-4 minutes stirring often until they begin to soften.
- Beat the eggs together then season with salt and pepper while the peppers are cooking.
- When the peppers have finished cooking remove them from the skillet.
- Add the eggs to the skillet and scramble until the eggs have almost set then add the pinto beans and stir until the eggs have fully set and the beans have warmed.
To build the burritos:
- Place ⅙ of the cheese along the tortilla about ⅓ of the way to the edge then top with ⅙ of the egg mixture. Top with a bit of salsa.
- Close the burrito by folding in the top and bottom edges towards the middle, then fold in the short side of the tortilla. Roll the burrito until it is closed and place it seam side down on a plate.
- Continue until all the burritos have been rolled.
- Heat a large frying pan to medium heat and add as many of the rolled burritos as you can to it seam side down. Allow it to heat and seal for a minute before turning the burritos to crisp up all the sides.
- Continue crisping the burritos until they are all crisped.
- Serve with salsa