Creamy, cheesy and packed full of broccoli, this broccoli cheddar soup can be ready to eat in about 30 minutes with minimal prep time and it's sure to please even the pickiest of eaters!
Broccoli cheddar soup is family favourite side dish broccoli and cheese sauce served up soup style! Possibly you've had it at Panera, it's one of their most popular soups!
This soup is both creamy and decadent but it also has a hefty dose of veggies - it's all about balance friends! The best part is it's ready to eat in 30 minutes, with pantry ingredients and minimal work in the kitchen!
Why you're going to love this soup!
- 30 minute meal. This soup is easily ready in 30 minutes with minimal fussing! Try serving it with our easy no knead bread to round out the meal.
- Family pleasing. I think we can all agree almost everyone loves broccoli cheese. This soup is like everyone's favourite side dish in soup form.
- Veggie loaded. This Broccoli cheese soup is just packed with broccoli and carrots for a heafty dose of veggies in every serving!
- Broccoli - cut the florets into bite sized pieces - you can use the stems here too if you peel the tough exterior off them first!
- Carrots I like them shredded because they cook faster and flavour the broth better.
- Stock - I use chicken stock because I like the mild flavour and clarity to it, but you can use veggie stock here too if you want to keep it vegetarian.
- Cream - I use table cream and find that rich enough. You could substitute for milk if you want as well, the soup just won't be as rich.
- Cheddar cheese - go for the old cheddar here! You won't get much flavour off of anything milder.
- Onion - finely diced. Any onion will do.
- Garlic - fresh garlic is a must to truly flavour the soup.
- Dijon - adds another level of flavour to the broth.
- Butter - to cook the onions and garlic and serve as part of the roux.
- Flour - to make the roux to thicken the soup.
How to make it.
Heat a large soup pot or Dutch oven to medium heat and add the butter. When it melts add the diced onion and garlic. Saute for a couple of minutes until they have softened.
Add the flour to the cooked onions and stir until they are evenly coated then allow them to cook a minute or two more to make the roux.
Slowly add the stock bit by bit fully incorporating it into the roux before adding more to prevent clumping. When the stock has been fully added to the soup add the cream.
Add the broccoli and carrots to the soup and increase the heat to medium high. Cover the the pot and let the vegetables cook into the soup for about 10 minutes, or until the broccoli is fork tender.
When the veggies are soft add the cheese and dijon mustard to the soup and stir well until it is all combined then season with sea salt and a good portion of freshly ground pepper.
Tips for the best broccoli cheddar soup
Don't let the boil. Keep the heat at medium-high maximum and don't let the soup boil if you want to keep the cream and cheese from separating.
For a lighter soup reduce the cream down to 1 cup and up the stock to 4 cups.
To make it vegetarian swap the chicken stock for a veggies stock. Just be aware that the creamy soup may be more dark coloured depending on the colour of the veggie stock.
If the soup is grainy it's because the cheese was added when the soup base was too hot. Keep the soup simmering, but not boiling and bubbling, when the cheese is added to allow it to blend in smoothly.
Stored properly (in an airtight container) it should last up to 3 days. Any longer than that and the creamy soup may start separating.
More recipes you'll love!
If you loved this broccoli cheese soup, you might want to check out some of our other delicious soup recipes!
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1⁄4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups broccoli florets (about 1 large broccoli) - cut into small bite sized pieces and packed in
- 2 carrots - shredded
- 2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded old cheddar
- salt pepper
- Heat your Dutch oven to medium and add the butter. When it melts, and add onions and garlic and saute until they are tender tender - about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir to combine with the onions and butter. Let it cook for a minute or 2.
- Slowly whisk in stock bit by bit to avoid clumping and then add the cream. Increase the heat to medium high, but don't let the pot boil.
- Add broccoli and carrots, cover the pot, then cook for 15 mins.
- Add in cheese and dijon mustard and season with season salt and fresh ground pepper then stri well until the cheese melts into the soup.
* nutritional information is calculated by online tools and may not be 100% accurate.