Rice paper rolls stuffed with fresh rainbow veggies and served with a tangy peanut dipping sauce. These veggie rolls are so easy to make once you get the hang of rolling them and they make a great light lunch or party appetizer!
I'm a big fan of the fresh spring rolls you get at Vietnamese restaurants. You know the soft rolls with the shrimp and noodles in them?
While I do love those rolls, when I'm looking to make something similar at home I don't want to bother with cooking noodles and shrimp and rolling everything all up. I want something quick and easy and healthy - and skipping the noodles and shrimp and loading the rolls up with fresh, healthy veggies is what I end up doing.
These veggie rolls are my slightly lazy take on Vietnamese spring rolls. Veggie packed minus the extra carbs, with the most delicious peanut sauce to dip them in. Like a salad you can eat with your hands.
You're going to love this!
- Veggie packed healthy meal. These veggie rolls are such a great healthy lunch or snack! they are packed with fresh veggies, low on carbs, and with a healthy dose of protein in the peanut sauce.
- Versatile. These rolls are incredibly versatile! The basics that you need are rice paper and lettuce, and you can fill them up with whatever veggies you have on hand. They are really great with the addition of avocado!
- Fun to make and eat! Once you get the hang of the rolling technique these little rolls are quite easy and fun to make. And who doesn't love food you can eat with your hands???
- Rice paper - You'll be able to find this at your local Asian grocer. Look for the larger sized circle.
- Lettuce - I used green leaf lettuce here, but you can use any lettuce, or even spinach if you like.
- Cilantro and veggies. I used red cabbage, cucumber, red peppers, and carrot. Feel free to use whatever veggies you like! I prefer veggies that have some crunch for these rolls. Just be sure to cut the veggies into an appropriate size for rolling.
- Peanut butter - the star of the dipping sauce! For the best flavour use all natural peanut butter. Smooth or chunky will do!
- Chilli paste - to add a bit of heat to the sauce. Sambal oelek is my favourite!
- Soy sauce - gives a nice hit of umami to the dish.
- Rice wine vinegar and lime juice - rounds of the sauce with a bit of acidity, and I love the tanginess that the lime juice brings to it!
How to make them.
Make the sauce. Mix the peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, rice vinegar, red chilli paste.
Prepare the rice paper. Working one paper at a time, soak a piece of rice paper in a bowl of warm water until it is pliable - about 20 seconds. Once it is tender, lay it out on a clean surface to begin assembling your roll.
Add the filling to the roll. Starting with the lettuce first, add the veggie filling to the rolls.
Fold and close the roll. Fold one of the long edges over top of the filling then fold both of the ends in. Gently tuck the filling in to tighten it up as you roll the roll until it closes itself.
Cut rolls and serve. When all the rolls have been assembled, cut them into quarters and serve on a plate along with the peanut sauce.
Yes! You can make veggie rolls ahead of time. They will store well in an airtight container in the fridge for a day or two. See below for how to keep them moist!
If you are making these veggie rolls ahead of time and you are worried about them drying out you can wet a dish cloth or paper towel and wring out the excess water then place it over top of the rolls.
More recipes you'll love!
If you liked these veggie rolls, you might want to check out some of our other healthy vegetable recipes!
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Veggie Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce
- 5 round rice paper wrappers
- 5 leafs lettuce - halved lengthwise
- 1⁄2 red pepper - cut into matchsticks
- 1 carrot - cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 10 sprigs cilantro
- 1⁄2 cucumber - seeded and cut into matchsticks
- 1⁄4 cup peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons soya sauce
- 1⁄2 Tablespoon red chili paste
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 ½ Tablespoons water
- Prepare your veggies by cutting them into the appropriate sizes.
- Mix together the peanut butter, soya sauce, lime juice, rice vinegar, red chili paste and water to make the dipping sauce.
- Working one rice paper at a time, build your rolls. Soak the rice paper in warm water for about 20 seconds or so until it is pliable.
- Spread the soaked rice paper across a clean surface and build your roll starting with the lettuce.
- When ready to roll, tuck the short end of the length of the roll in followed by the two ends. Begin to roll the roll and tuck in the ingredients snugly as you go. Continue rolling until the roll is closed.
- Continue until all the rolls have been made, then quarter them and serve along with the peanut dipping sauce.
* nutritional information is calculated by online tools and may not be 100% accurate.