Eggs cooked in a spiced tomato sauce with peppers and onions and topped with feta cheese. Shakshouka is just as delicious as it is easy to make! It makes a great vegetarian brunch or breakfast - or even a quick and easy meatless dinner!
I truly can't say enough good things about this dish. Honestly, it's perfect in every way! Smoky flavoured tomato sauce, poached eggs, salty tangy feta cheese and a good handful of fresh herbs - it doesn't get any better than this, except maybe to mention you can have this shakshouka on your plate in just about 20 minutes. How's that for a fast meal??
It's perfect for breakfast or brunch and can do double duty as an easy vegetarian dinner as well! Just serve with some toasted crusty bread and a light salad and you have a great quick and easy meatless meal.
You're going to love this!
- Meatless meal - If you are looking for more meat free dishes to add to your rotation, shakshouka is a winner! It's so flavorful and filling you won't even miss the meat. It makes a great breakfast, but it also makes an excellent easy vegetarian dinner.
- Quick & easy - This dish is so quick and easy to make! Simply make a quick tomato sauce and let the eggs cook in it!
- Simple & flavorful - like a lot of my favourite dishes, shakshouka is made from a short list of fresh flavorful ingredients.
- Eggs - the star of the dish! 5-6 will fit perfectly, so choose what works for you.
- Tomatoes - whole canned tomatoes - choose san marzano if you can find them, they have an incredible flavor perfectly for simple dishes like this.
- Red pepper and onion - these add flavour to the dish and round it out with some veggies. You can use any kind of onion or pepper you have on hand.
- Garlic - always use fresh cloves for the best flavor.
- Parlsey and cilantro - optional, but highly recommended! They add a nice freshness to the dish.
- Feta cheese - this is also option, but love the salty tanginess it brings to the dish.
- Smoked paprika and cumin - our smokey, earthy seasonings that make the tomato sauce so addictive!
How to make it
Saute the onion and pepper. Heat a skillet to medium high heat and add the olive oil along with the onion and pepper. Cook while stirring frequently until the veggies are tender.
Make the tomato sauce. Add the tomatoes to the skillet along with the garlic, cumin and smoked paprika. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper. Use a fork or other instrument ( I use this) to break up the tomatoes and then let the sauce cook for about 10 minutes until it has thickened and reduced a bit.
Cook the eggs. Use a spoon to create holes in the sauce where the eggs will go. Crack the eggs and gently pour them into the holes. Sprinkle the tomato sauce around the eggs with about half of the feta cheese then cover the skillet with a lid. Let the eggs cook for about 6-8 minutes or until the whites have fully set.
Garnish and serve. When the eggs have fully set, sprinkle the remaining feta cheese over the dish along with the chopped parsley and cilantro. Serve with crusty toasted bread.
Tips for the best shakshouka
- Don't use a cast iron pan! Although there are plenty of photographs of shakshouka in cast iron pans all over the internet, tomatoes are very acidic and will break down the seasoning on your cast iron pan. I've learned my lesson and no longer cook tomato based dishes in my cast iron. For best results, use a non-stick or stainless skillet.
- Look for San Marzano tomatoes. They are the BEST Roma tomatoes available and they will bring a light sweet flavour to your sauce.
- Make the sauce ahead of time. The sauce can be prepped ahead of time making brunch or breakfast prep the next day easy peasy.
- Want to add more flavor?? This recipe is great as written, but if you'd like to expand on it a bit try adding some artichoke hearts, olives, or chickpeas to the sauce while cooking it.
More recipes you'll love!
If you like this shakshuka recipes, you might want to check out some of our other great vegetarian breakfast recipes!
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Shakshouka (Poached Eggs in Spicy Tomato sauce)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red pepper - sliced
- 1 onion - sliced
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes - preferably san marzano
- 4 cloves garlic - crushed
- 2 Teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 Teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 Teaspoon red pepper flakes - or more if you'd like it spicier
- 5-6 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta
- 1⁄4 cup minced cilantro and parsley
- crusty bread for serving
- Add the olive oil to a skillet and heat over medium high heat. Add the peppers and onions and cook for a few minutes until they are tender.
- Pour in the tin of tomatoes and add the garlic, paprika and cumin. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Break up the tomatoes a bit with a fork and cook for about 10 minutes or so until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Use a spoon to create a hole in the tomatoes where the egg will go then crack the egg into the hole. Repeat until all your eggs are in the sauce. Add half the feta to the dish on top of the tomato sauce.
- Cover the dish and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until the egg whites have completely cooked. The eggs will still be runny at this point, so if you'd like them firm cook another 2 minutes.
* nutritional information is calculated by online tools and may not be 100% accurate.