This black bean burrito bowl is an easy and healthy vegan bowl perfect for a quick and nutritious lunch or dinner. Easily adaptable to suit your tastes, meal prep option included!
Burrito bowls are one of my favourite healthy meals. This vegan burrito bowl features black beans, rice, corn and peppers, but it is easily adaptable to your dietary needs. Don’t do grains? Switch out the rice for cauliflower rice, etc.
I love serving this bowl with hot vegetables and rice and topping it with cold lettuce, pico de gallo, and dressing it with avocado salsa verde for contrast in temperatures, but this bowl is just as good with all the ingredients served cold as a salad.
Looking for an easy weeknight meatless meal your whole family will love??? You’ve definitely got to check this one out!
Is a burrito bowl healthy?
I’d have to say that depends what you put in it. This bowl as the recipe is written is a really healthy bowl! It contains rice and beans to make for complete proteins and it is full of fibre from all the healthy vegetables. Add to that an oil free dressing, and you’ve got an all around healthy meal.
Feel free to dress it up with some more indulgent toppings like cheese or sour cream if that’s your thing though!
How to make black bean burrito bowls
Start with whipping up a batch of avocado salsa verde in your food processor or blender.
Slice up your peppers and stirfry them in a heated cast iron skillet or frying pan over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes – you want the veggies heated through but not cooked until they are mushy.
When you are done with the veggies add the strained black beans and corn to the pan and heat them through while stirring so they don’t burn to the pan. This should only take a minute or two.
Heat up your cooked rice, then divide up the rice, black beans, corn and peppers between 4 plates. Top with shredded lettuce, pico de gallo and dress with the avocado salsa verde.
Meal prep option
These burrito bowls are one of my favourite meal prep lunches! To meal prep these black bean burrito bowls simply spread out the recipe amongst 5 meal prep containers. You can put all the ingredients together and have it cold, or you can package up the rice, beans, and stirfried veggies in a container to heat up, and the cold ingredients on the side to top with.
This recipe for black bean burrito bowls is suitable for the following diets:
- vegan and vegetarian
- clean eating
- gluten free, dairy free, and allergy friendly
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
OTHER EASY HEALTHY RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
If you like this black bean burrito bowl, you might want to check out some of our other awesome easy and healthy recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Black Bean Burrito Bowl
* This recipe card may contain affiliate links to products we know and love. We earn a small commission on qualified sales at no cost to you.
- 1 red pepper
- green pepper
- 1 19 oz can black beans (drained)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 7 oz can corn (drained)
- 4-8 leaves romaine lettuce (shredded)
- 1 cup avocado salsa verde
For the pico:
- 2 Tablespoons diced red onion
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2-3 roma tomatoes (seeded and diced)
- Toss the diced roma tomatoes, red onion and cilantro together to make a quick pico de gallo. Season with salt to your taste.
- Slice the green and red peppers then add them to a large cast iron pan or nonstick pan over medium high heat. Cook the veggies for a couple of minutes while stir often to keep them from burning.
- Remove the veggies from the pan, and then use the pan to heat up the drained black beans and corn.
- Divide the rice, black beans, corn and sauteed peppers between 4 plates. Top each plate with the shredded lettuce and pico de gallo then dress with the avocado salsa verde.