Pulled pork, black beans, peppers, pico, olives and of course, cheese! Pulled pork quesadillas are packed with flavour and the perfect quick and easy meal when you're craving something with fresh Mexican flavor.
When we make a batch of Mexican pulled pork, otherwise known as carnitas, we tend to have a lot of leftovers. I never mind it though! Carnitas don't just make for great tasting tacos, you can use them anywhere some shredded meat would taste awesome!
Normally after we make a batch I pop the leftovers in the freezer and pull them out to use for easy meals like pulled pork nachos, or these pulled pork quesadillas.
You're going to love this!
- Quick & easy - if you've got leftover pulled pork and pico de gallo on hand these quesadillas come together in just about 10 minutes.
- Nutritional boost - using black beans along with the pulled pork adds great flavour and packs in some healthy fibre.
- Crowd pleasing - a lot like pizza, quesadillas will please even the pickiest of eaters!
- Tortillas - large flour tortillas work best here - either white or whole wheat will do.
- Pulled Pork - leftover carnitas is what we used. If you need to make a batch, check out our carnitas recipe!
- Black beans - I love adding some black beans into quesadillas. Not only do they add great flavour, but a lot of healthy fibre too!
- Red pepper - for a nice little bit of sweetness. Feel free to use any peppers you have on hand though!
- Cheese - I used my new favourite, habanero cheddar, but any of your favourite melting cheese would be great.
- Black olives - easily one of my favourite flavour assistants, I put olives in as many dishes as possible.
- Pico de gallo - if you have this available to you in your grocery store, great! If not whip up a quick batch of our pico de gallo.
How to make them
Build your quesadillas. Working with half the tortilla, build your quesadillas. Start with half the cheese, followed by pulled pork and black beans. Then add the red pepper, olives and pico de gallo followed by the rest of the cheese. Fold the empty half of the tortilla over top to close them.
Cook the quesadillas. Heat a large nonstick skillet to medium heat and add the quesadillas. Cook on the first side for about 2 minutes, or until the bottom has toasted and the cheese is melty then carefully flip the quesadillas over and cook the same on the second side.
Tips for the best quesadillas
Watch the heat. Keep the heat around medium for the best results - and higher and the tortilla will likely burn before your cheese melts!
Shred your own cheese. Pre-shredded cheese has a coating on it so that it doesn't clump together. This coating keeps the cheese from melting into ooey goeey cheesiness which is one of the best parts of a quesadilla!
Add in some more veggies. Want to make this a bit more of a healthier meal? Try throwing in some corn and green pepper to up the veggie content.
More recipes you'll love!
If you like these pulled pork quesadillas, you might want to check out some of our other recipes!
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Pulled Pork Quesadillas
- 2 large flour tortillas
- 1 cup pulled pork
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheese - I used habanaro cheddar
- 1⁄4 cup diced red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup pico de gallo
- 1⁄8 cup sliced black olives
- 1⁄2 cup black beans
- Working with half the tortilla, build your quesadilla. Start with cheese, then pulled pork and black beans followed by the red pepper, olives and pico de gallo then finish with another layer of cheese.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet to medium heat and add the quesadillas. Cook for about 2 minutse per side or until the tortilla has browned and crisped and the cheese is nice and melted.
* nutritional information is calculated by online tools and may not be 100% accurate.