Sausage ragu combines sausage meat, diced peppers and onions, and a couple of simple seasonings to make a flavourful and hearty pasta sauce with a short list of ingredients and minimal effort.
Do you love easy, flavourful meals as much as I do? If so, this sausage ragu is for you!
With only 7 simple ingredients, 2 easy steps and 30 minutes or simmering you can have a rich flavoured and satisfying meat sauce on your plate.
The secret is in the sausage - it's not just for grilling! It's also my secret for an easy, full flavoured meat sauce.
Hot Italian sausages come seasoned with flavours like garlic, fennel, and red pepper flakes and I like to trow a little tarragon in the sauce to bring out a little more of the anise flavour of the sausages. Just combine with some diced veggies, and some tomato puree and let it simmer away for the easiest and best tasting meat sauce!
This sauce is pretty filling on its own so I like to serve it over zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash to keep dinner on the healthier side, but it is also excellent served over pasta.
How to make sausage ragu
Start by removing the casings from the sausage. This can be easily done by using scissors to cut them from end to end.
Heat a dutch oven or any other heavy bottomed pan to a medium low heat then add the sausages. Break the sausage meat up using a wooden spoon or other tool and cook it until it has browned.
When the meat has browned, add the diced peppers and onions. I like to dice these up fairly small so that they kind of melt into the sauce and flavour it throughout.
After sauteeing the veggies for a couple of minutes add the tomato puree and spices. Give everything a good stir, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes and you are ready to eat!
Tips and Tricks for the best sauce
- The quality of your sauce starts with the quality of your sausage - I like leaner sausages because they don't make the sauce too greasy
- Don't skip the simmering time, and if you have longer let it cook a bit more - the longer it simmers the richer the flavour gets
- It's really easy to make a double batch and put an extra dinner away in the freezer - this sauce freezes great.
Dietary Considerations and Accommodations
This recipe for sausage is suitable for the following diets:
- gluten free
- dairy free
- low carb
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
More recipes you’ll love!
If you like this sausage ragu, you might want to check out some of our other awesome easy, hearty recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
* This recipe card may contain affiliate links to products we know and love. We earn a small commission on qualified sales at no cost to you.
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage ( casing removed)
- 1⁄2 green pepper ( diced)
- 1⁄2 red pepper (diced)
- 1⁄2 white onion (diced)
- 2.5 cups tomato puree
- 1 Tablespoon tarragon
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- Heat a dutch oven to medium heat and add the sausage. Break it up while cooking. When the sausage is cooked, add the vegetables. Saute until tender.
- Add the tomato puree and spices. Season well with sea salt and pepper.
- Cover and allow to simmer for 30 minutes for the flavours to combine.