Pan seared shrimp served on top of fresh and crunchy cabbage and carrot slaw and dressed with a ginger and lime vinaigrette. This Vietnamese shrimp salad is an easy low carb meal that’s on the table in under 30 minutes.
If you are looking for a recipe that is fairly quick, can be prepped ahead of time, and is full of bright summer flavours – this Vietnamese Shrimp Salad is it.
The fresh herbs, the crispy crunchy veggies and the soft, sweet shrimp – simply amazing with the flavourful tangy dressing.
It’s fairly similar to the noodle bowls that you get in Vietnamese restaurants, but lightened up (without the noodles and all their carbs) and turned into more of a salad.
I love this Vietnamese shrimp salad bowl for a quick and healthy lunch. You can shred the veggies pretty quickly with a mandolin, and the shrimp takes just minutes in a pan to cook.
The dressing and the shredded vegetables both hold up well in the fridge in airtight containers for up to a week which makes it easy to prepare ahead of time if you’re into prepping ahead for the week.
How to make Vietnamese shrimp salad
Heat a bit of oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium low heat then add the shrimp and cook on each side until they just turn pink.
Shred or chop the cabbages, carrot, and cucumber then arrange in a bowl along with some cilantro and mint leaves.
Mix together the fish sauce, lime juice, rice wine vinegar, garlic, ginger and minced red chili to make the dressing.
Add the cooked shrimp to the salad bowl, top with some dressing and that’s it! You’re ready to eat!
Tips and tricks for the best Vietnamese shrimp salad
- Don’t skip out on the fresh herbs and don’t substitute the fresh ginger and garlic – the key to the flavour in this salad is the fresh ingredients!
- I love having cabbage around so I don’t mind buying whole ones and shredding them by hand, but if you are in a pinch for time or don’t want an abundance of cabbage in your fridge you could substitute for coleslaw mix.
This recipe for Vietnamese shrimp salad is suitable for the following diets:
- low carb
- gluten free
- dairy free
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
MORE SHRIMP RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
If you like this Vietnamese shrimp salad, you might want to check out some of our other delicious and healthy shrimp or salad recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Vietnamese Shrimp Salad
* This recipe card may contain affiliate links to products we know and love. We earn a small commission on qualified sales at no cost to you.
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- 2.5 Tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 Tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 red chili (minced)
- 1 pound shrimp
- 3 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 2 carrots (julienned)
- 1/2 field cucumber (seeds removed, julienned)
- 1/4 cup mint (chopped)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- combine the lime juice, fish sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger and red chili in a small bowl to make the dressing.
- Prepare the vegetables. Use a knife or mandolin to slice the cabbages into thin ribbons. Julienne the carrots and cucumber into matchstick sized pieces. Divide the vegetables into 4 bowls and add the mint and cilantro.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, and the shrimp and make sure they are spread out evenly in the pan. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the shrimp you use, between 5-10 minutes. The shrimp are cooked when both sides have turned pink and the middle is no longer translucent.
- Top the salad bowls with the cooked shrimp
- Divide the dressing into 4 small side bowls or ramekins and serve along side of the plated salad