Spiced pan seared shrimp served on top of fresh and crunchy cabbage and carrot slaw dressed with a ginger and lime vinaigrette. This Vietnamese shrimp salad is an easy low carb meal that’s on the table in under 30 minutes.
We have been loving this recipe lately. Winter is still dragging on here although the daylight hours are getting longer and we are craving the fresh summer salads that remind us of warmer weather.
If you are looking for a recipe that is fairly quick, can be prepped ahead of time, and is full of bright summer flavours – this Vietnamese Shrimp Salad is it.
We like to eat this salad with shrimp as a protein, but you could easily serve it with vegan protein options such as tofu or tempeh if you don’t eat seafood. To replace the fish sauce, you could try this excellent sounding recipe for vegan fish sauce from Feasting at Home. If you try it, let me know how it turned out!
The dressing can be made the day before and will hold up well in the fridge for a week or two. The shredding of the cabbage and vegetables can take a little time, but you can prep them a few days before if necessary and store in an air tight container in your fridge.
This recipe for Vietnamese shrimp salad is suitable for the following diets:
- clean eating, Whole30 and low carb
- gluten free, dairy free, and allergy friendly
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
MORE SHRIMP AND SALAD RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
If you like this Vietnamese shrimp salad, you might want to check out some of our other delicious and healthy shrimp or saladrecipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Vietnamese Shrimp Salad
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- 2.5 tbsp seasoned rice wine viegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 red chili minced
- 1 package frozen shrimp (454 g)
- 3 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 2 carrots julienned
- 1/2 field cucumber seeds removed, julienned
- 1/4 cup mint chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- Thaw your shrimp if they were previously frozen. This can be done a day ahead or the day of.
- combine the lime juice, fish sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger and chili in a small bowl to make the dressing.
- Prepare the vegetables. Use a knife to slice the cabbages into thin ribbons. Julienne the carrots and cucumber into matchstick sized pieces. Place the vegetables in a large bowl and add the mint and cilantro.
- Heat a large teflon frying pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, and the shrimp and make sure they are spread out evenly in the pan. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the shrimp you use, between 5-10 minutes. Shrimp is cooked when both sides have turned pink and the middle is no longer translucent.
- Divide salad on to 4 plates or large bowls and top with one quarter of the shrimp.
- Divide the dressing into 4 small side bowls or ramekins and serve along side of the plated salad