Pasta e Fagioli is a hearty and inexpensive soup for perfect for cozy weather. It is a family pleasing meal that is simple to make, and full of flavour.
There’s just something about soup that I really love when the weather starts getting cooler.
Pasta e Fagioli is a traditional Italian dish that varies in both it’s consistency and ingredients from region to region. The main staple ingredients are some kind of small pasta and beans. I make mine with whatever small pasta I have on hand, and I like to use two different beans to vary up the flavour: kidney beans, and cannellini beans.
If you haven’t tried Pasta e Fagioli before, you are going to want to make this one! It’s simple to make, can please a crowd, is budget friendly, and chances are you have everything you need to make it in your pantry already.
How to make Pasta e Fagioli
This soup couldn’t get any easier. Sautee up the celery, carrots and onions, add the garlic and herbs, then the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer until the pasta is cooked and you are ready to go.
I used small shell pasta in this soup, but you can use whatever you have on hand. Macaroni, farfalle, ditalini are all great options. Also feel free to adjust the amount of pasta in the soup to your tastes! I like the consistency of mine on the heartier side of a soup, but this dish can be served with less or more pasta depending on your tastes.
As usual, I used fresh herbs as I just love the flavour they add to meals, but you could use dried here if you are in a pinch.
This recipe for easy bean salad is suitable for the following diets:
- vegan and vegetarian
- clean eating
- dairy free
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
MORE COMFORTING RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
If you like this recipe for Pasta e Fagioli, you might want to check out some of our other awesome comforting vegetarian recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Pasta e Fagioli
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 ribs celery finely diced
- 1 carrot finely diced
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 10-12 sprigs fresh thyme
- 7 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1.5 cups small shell pasta
- 1 19 oz can red kidney beans drained
- 1 19 oz can cannelini beans (or white kidney beans) drained
- Add the olive oil to a large soup pot and heat to medium high heat.
- Add the celery, carrot, and onion to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Saute the vegetables until they begin to soften - about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and fresh rosemary and thyme to the pot, and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, crushed tomatoes, pasta, and beans to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Cook for the recommended cooking time for your pasta.