Rich and creamy tofu tikka masala is a vegan adaptation of popular chicken tikka masala. This flavourful curry sauce pairs perfectly with tofu and makes for an easy and delcious meatless meal for any day of the week.
It’s been wet and dreary around here and I’ve been craving comfort food to the max, how about you?
This tofu tikka masala is checking all the right boxes for me – easy, vegan, flavourful, comforting. The perfect dish for when you are looking for something seriously cozy – and also want it to be meatless.
The inspiration for this recipe comes from Cafe Delites chicken tikka masala. To make it vegan, I’ve swapped out dairy and chicken for vegan alternatives (tofu and coconut milk) and adjusted the spices a little bit more to my liking. I also dropped the whole marinating step since I didn’t see a need to before you cook the tofu into the sauce.
The result is a quick, easy, and flavourful meatless curry that is a cinch to put together because you might even have all the ingredients on hand.
How to make tofu tikka masala
Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium low heat.
Add the diced onions and cook them until they are soft.
When the onions have softened, add the garlic and ginger to the onions to the skillet and saute for a minute or two to soften before adding the garam masala, cumin, turmeric, coriander powder, sweet paprika and cayenne. Stir everything to coat the onions and let the spices cook for a minute or two.
Pour in the tomato passata and salt and give everything a good stir. Let the tomatoes simmer for about 10 minutes – they should cook down into a bit of a paste.
When the tomatoes have cooked down, pour in the coconut milk.
Give everything a good stir to combine the sauce, then add in the cubed tofu.
Bring the curry to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or so for the sauce to thicken and the flavours to blend.
And that’s it! Serve over basmati rice or your favourite grain.
Dietary Considerations and Accommodations
This recipe for tofu tikka masala is suitable for the following diets:
- gluten free
- dairy free
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
More recipes you’ll love!
If you like this tofu tikka masala, you might want to check out some of our other tofu recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Tofu Tikka Masala
- 1 pkg extra firm tofu cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tsp fresh ginger
- 1.5 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp turmeric
- 1⁄2 tsp coriander powder
- 1⁄2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 tsp cayenne
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup tomato passata
- Heat the oil in a large non stick skillet over medium low heat and then fry the onions until they have softened.
- Add the garlic and ginger, then saute for a minute before adding the garam masala, cumin, turmeric, coriander powder, sweet paprika and cayenne. Stir to coat the onions and let the spices cook for a minute or two.
- Add the tomato puree and salt and mix everything together well. Allow the sauce to cook for 10-15 minutes or until the tomato sauce reduces and thickens into a bit of a paste.
- Stir in the coconut milk and add the tofu.
- Bring the pan to a boil, then reduce it to low and allow the curry to simmer for another 10 minutes or so for the flavours to blend.
- Serve over basmati rice.