Delicious vegetarian black bean quesadillas with sauteed red pepper, onion, kale and Monterrey Jack cheese. Perfect for a quick and easy meatless lunch or dinner.
I've been a serious fan of them for most of my life. Really though, what is there to NOT like about a quesadilla?? They are crispy, cheesy, packed full of tasty ingredients and you get to serve them in delicious things like avocado salsa verde and pico de gallo.
When I was a teen quesadillas were my absolute favourite things to order off a restaurant menu.
Now that I've reached the adult stage of my life, my restaurant orders have grown up a fair bit, but when I'm looking for a quick and easy meal quesadillas are one of my go to's.
These vegetarian black bean quesadillas make such a great lunch or easy weeknight dinner. They are filling, full of flavourful and healthy ingredients, and they have just the right amount of cheese.
How to make black bean quesadillas:
Prep your ingredients by chopping up the kale, red peppers and onions and shredding the cheese.
Heat a large skillet to medium low heat, add a bit of oil, then lightly saute the vegetables with the chili powder before removing them from the skillet.
Add a quarter of the cheese to one half of a tortilla, then spread out half the sauteed veggies over top of it before topping with another quarter of the cheese, then fold the empty half of the tortilla over and gently press down along the top of it to flatten the quesadilla.
Do the same with the second tortilla.
Place the quesadillas in the skillet and let it cook for about 3-4 minutes or until the cheese has begun to melt and the bottom of the tortilla is crispy and lightly browned before flipping the quesadilla and cooking the other side in the same way.
Remove, slice and serve with salsa, guacamole or sour cream.
Dietary Considerations and Accommodations
This recipe for black bean quesadillas is suitable for the following diets:
Are you on Pinterest? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas.
Want to see more recipes like this?? Sign up for our newsletter to have new recipes delivered to your inbox, follow us on Instagram or like our Facebook page.
More recipes you’ll love!
If you like these black bean quesadillas, you might want to check out some of our other awesome Mexican inspired recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Black Bean Quesadillas
- 1 cup chopped kale
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ½ red pepper diced
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 large tortillas
- 1 ½ cup shredded Monterray Jack cheese
- ½ cup cooked black beans
- Heat a large nonstick skillet to medium heat and add a tbsp of cooking oil
- When the skillet is hot, and the diced red pepper and onion, chopped kale and chili powder then saute for a couple of minutes until the veggies have just softened.
- Remove the veggies from the skillet and wipe clean with a paper towel, then place it back on the burner.
- Spread out ¼ of the cheese across one half of a tortilla. Top with half the veggies and half the black beans then spread another ¼ of the cheese on top of it all.
- Fold over the empty half of the tortilla and press gently to close the quesadilla.
- Repeat for the second quesadilla
- Place both the quesadillas in the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until the cheese has melted and the exterior of the quesadillas has crisped and browned.