This piri piri chicken salad wrap adds spice and flavour to the classic chicken salad... try it on a tortilla or lettuce wrap along with your favourite sandwich fillings for an easy and tasty lunch!
A chicken salad wrap is one of my favourite ways to use up leftover chicken. Although a classic chicken salad sandwich is great, I like to spice things up a bit so more often than not when I have leftover chicken that needs to be used up I look to this piri piri chicken salad wrap. The spice and flavour of the piri piri peppers, the brightness of the lemon juice and my favourite herb, cilantro, really gives this chicken salad a flavour boost.
I used a dried piri piri seasoning in this recipe, but if that is not available to do you can substitute a jarred piri piri sauce - I've made this recipe both ways, and it turns out fabulous no matter which you use.
What is Piri Piri?
If you're not already in the know, piri piri (or peri peri as it's sometimes spelt) is the Portuguese name for the African birds-eye chilli. Piri Piri is also the name for the awesomely flavoured sauce that is made out of them along with lemon, garlic and other spices. Around here Nandos is the most commonly found in stores, but if you are looking to make some of your own Chili Pepper Madness has any amazing looking peri peri sauce recipe that I am dying to try when the speciality peppers hit my farmers market.
How to make peri peri chicken salad wraps
Start by cubing up your cooked chicken, celery, and onion into small bite sized pieces and placing them into a medium sized bowl. Add the mayo, piri piri spice, lemon juice, chopped cilantro and parsley, and then season with salt and pepper before giving everything a good mix.
Divide the chicken salad amongst two large whole wheat flour tortillas (or use lettuce wraps for a low carb version) and then add your sandwich toppings.
I like to add lettuce, tomato and pickles to my sandwich but you can add whatever else you might like!
Why you are going to love this....
- it's a great change to everyday chicken salad
- it's perfect for using up leftover chicken
- it's easy to make and uses simple but flavourful ingredients
Tips and Tricks
- If you don't have chicken handy, you could make this salad from a rotisserie chicken
- To heat things up even more add some extra piri piri seasoning. I used just enough to give it flavour and a nice subtle kick
- This is a great make ahead lunch option - piri piri chicken salad should hold up well in the fridge for 3-4 days. Just be sure to give it a good stir before eating.
- If you don't have piri piri seasoning you can substitute for cayenne pepper sauce or seasoning
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
More recipes you’ll love!
If you like this piri piri chicken salad wrap, you might want to check out some of our other awesome sandwich and wrap recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Piri Piri Chicken Salad
* This recipe card may contain affiliate links to products we know and love. We earn a small commission on qualified sales at no cost to you.
- ½ pound diced cooked chicken
- 1⁄4 cup diced celery
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon piri piri seasoning
- sea salt and pepper
- Mix the diced chicken, celery, onion, parsley, cilantro, mayo, piri piri seasoning, and lemon juice together in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Serve on your choice of tortilla wrap or lettuce wrap along with your favourite sandwich ingredients!