Delicious basil sauce! Fresh basil, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and salt and blended into this flavourful dairy free and nut free version of pesto.
Let's take a quick minute to talk about THIS SAUCE.
The lemon, the freshness, the garlic. It's like heaven on a spoon.
Picked up a gigantic bush sized bundle of basil at your farmers market and don't know what to do with it like I did?
The answer is basil sauce.
The most POPULAR answer is probably pesto, but if you are vegan, dairy free or nut free you are probably looking for a better answer, or maybe you are just like me and can't fathom shelling out for pine nuts at the crazy prices they are selling these days and you just want an alternative.
You're going to love this because
- it's dairy free and nut free!
- it's ready in 5 minutes with minimal effort
- it's fresh, healthy and tastes AMAZING
How to make basil sauce
This truly couldn't get any easier. Remove the leaves from the basil and make sure they are nice and clean, then throw them into a food processor along with all the other ingredients.
Process on high for a minute or two or until the basil leaves have broken down enough that they form a sauce but are still a tiny bit chunky.
And that's it. You're done!
Transfer your sauce to an airtight container and store in the fridge.
What do you put basil sauce on?
The possibilities are truly endless! Use it as:
- a marinade for fish or chicken
- a substitute for pesto that is diary free and nut free
- a pizza topper (TRUST ME ON THIS ONE)
- Use is as base for salad dressing by mixing some in with some oil and vinegar
- anything you want!
Storing basil sauce
This sauce will keep well for at least a week (and up to 2) in the fridge stored in an airtight container. If you would like to keep it for longer, to maximize the freshness it can be frozen.
Dietary Considerations and Accommodations
This recipe for basil sauce is suitable for the following diets:
- vegan and vegetarian
- clean eating
- low carb and keto friendly
- gluten free, dairy free, and allergy friendly
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
More recipes you’ll love!
If you like this basil sauce, you might want to check out some of our other awesome fresh sauce recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
* This recipe card may contain affiliate links to products we know and love. We earn a small commission on qualified sales at no cost to you.
- 6 ounces fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 4 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Put everything in a food processor and process on low for a minute or two or until the sauce is just blended but still a bit chunky.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1-2 weeks.