Moroccan red lentil soup is a warming and comforting lentil soup spiced with turmeric, paprika, cinnamon and coriander. Budget friendly and on the table in under 30 minutes, this soup is an easy and flavourful plant based weeknight meal.
Sometimes I forget about how much I love red lentils. They are quick to cook, inexpensive, and full of plant based protein.
This Moroccan red lentil soup is one of my favourite ways to serve them up. This recipe is a family favourite and I love how it comes together from ingredients we always have on hand. Some dried red lentils, celery, onion, and some spices, cilantro and lemon juice.
This recipe requires minimal preparation and most of the time spent is just simmering the lentils until they are cooked through. You're going to want to add this one to your recipe stash because you can never have enough easy soup recipes with few ingredients in your arsenal.
Have I mentioned just how delicious the whole house smells while it is cooking too?
Leftovers hold up well in the fridge (if there are any), and this soup is also great in the freezer. Either way you chose to store it you will probably have to add a little bit of water to it when you heat it back up as it does tend to thicken.
How to make Moroccan lentil soup
Start with a large pot heated to medium heat. Add a bit of olive oil, then the diced celery and onions.
Saute the vegetables for a minute or two until then begin to soften, then add the crushed garlic and spices and give it all a good mix.
Continue to saute the vegetables with the spices for another minute or two, then add the vegetable stock and red lentils.
Increase the heat to maximum, and bring the pot to a boil then immediately reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot with a lid and allow the soup to simmer for 15-20 minutes until the lentils have softened.
Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until it has a smooth consistency.
Stir in the chopped cilantro and lemon juice then serve.
This recipe for easy bean salad is suitable for the following diets:
- vegan and vegetarian
- clean eating
- gluten free, dairy free, nut free and soy free
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
MORE VEGAN SOUP RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE
If you like this recipe for Moroccan red lentil soup, you might want to check out some of our other healthy plant based soup recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Moroccan Red Lentil Soup
* This recipe card may contain affiliate links to products we know and love. We earn a small commission on qualified sales at no cost to you.
- 2 cups red lentils
- 6 cups vegetable stock (or water)
- 1 Tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 celery ribs (diced)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 Tablespoon lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the cooking oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the onion, celery and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the spices to the pot and stir.
- Add the stock and red lentils to the pot and cook for 15-20 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it has an even consistency.
- Stir in the lemon juice and chopped cilantro.