Avocado tuna salad jazzes up the classic tuna salad sandwich by adding a Mexican twist trading the mayo for avocado and flavouring it with cilantro and lime.
I do love a good classic tuna salad sandwich, but when I want to make it a bit healthier, I drop the mayo and head for a healthier fat - avocado. Add in some red onion and classic Mexican flavourings like cilantro and lime, and you end up with a killer tuna salad sandwich.
How to make tuna avocado salad
Sustainability and responsible fishing are important things to me, so I start with a can of responsibly sourced tuna.
This will usually be skipjack or albacore tuna, and you will see a label on the can that says "Pole and Line". You are going to pay a bit more for this, but if you want to do your part in keeping the oceans healthy then making the change to sustainably sourced tuna is a great start.
The tuna will most likely be chunked and not flaked, so I start by dumping it into a small bowl and then break it up into flakes by mashing it with the back of a fork.
Then, I'll take another bowl and do the same with the avocado.
Dice up some red onions and cilantro, and then mix everything together in one of the bowls with a squeeze of lime and some salt.
Throw the tuna salad between a couple slices of whole wheat bread, and you've got an awesome sandwich that is like a hybrid of guacamole and tuna salad.
This recipe for easy bean salad is suitable for the following diets:
- clean eating
- gluten free - use gluten free bread or lettuce wraps
- dairy free
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
MORE PESCATARIAN RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE
If you like this easy bean salad, you might want to check out some of our other awesome pescatarian recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Avocado Tuna Salad
* This recipe card may contain affiliate links to products we know and love. We earn a small commission on qualified sales at no cost to you.
- 1 avocado (cut in half, pit removed, and scooped out of shell)
- 1 can albacore tuna in water (drained)
- 2 Tablespoons diced red onion
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 Tablespoon lime juice (or more to taste)
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- Empty the can of drained tuna into a bowl and mash with the back of a fork.
- In another bowl, scoop out the flesh of the avocado and mash with a fork.
- Add the avocado to the tuna along with the remaining ingredients and mix.