Halloumi kebabs are the ultimate vegetarian kebabs for summer grilling! Flavoured with lemon, parsley and a hint of spice, these kebabs are easy to make and the perfect vegetarian skewer for summer BBQ meals!
Summer isn't summer without meals cooked on the BBQ. When you're looking for vegetarian options though, it's hard pressed to find something outside of the standard veggie burger.
These halloumi kebabs bring boring old veggie skewers to life by the addition of halloumi cheese and a bright and fresh lemon parsley marinade. Halloumi cheese is just made for grilling as it holds it's shape and doesn't melt on the grill.
If you're looking for a great vegetarian grill option this summer, try these tasty skewers even meat eaters will love, and if you are a halloumi fan looking for more recipes be sure to check out our halloumi sandwich!
How to make halloumi kebabs
Cut the halloumi cheese into quarters then slice each quarter down the middle lengthwise.
Half the mushrooms and cut the red pepper and red onion into 8 equally sized pieces
Mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, parsley and chilli flakes then season with salt and pepper to make the marinade.
Throw the vegetables and halloumi cheese into a bowl and dress with the marinade.
For the best flavour, allow the veggies and cheese to sit in the marinade in the fridge for an hour or so before grilling.
If you have long skewers like me, take two of each vegetable and two pieces of cheese and alternate along the skewer to make 4 large skewers, otherwise, make 8 smaller ones.
Heat your BBQ to 500 degrees, then place the skewers on the grill.
Cook the skewers for 2-3 minutes per side taking care to move them occasionally to prevent burning.
Tips and Tricks for halloumi kebabs
- For the best flavour, allow the kebabs to marinade for at least an hour
- These skewers can be premade ahead of time. Simply marinate then skewer then store in an airtight container in the fridge until you are ready to cook them.
- The vegetables on the kebabs are easily exchanged - just try to keep everything to the same size so the cooking time remains the same
What to serve with halloumi kebabs
These halloumi kebabs are a great vegetarian option for summer-time grilling and some excellent side dishes to go along with any BBQ meal include make ahead salads like bean salad or tuna macaroni salad.
If you're looking for fresh and leafy fattoush salad is also a great choice!
Dietary Considerations and Accommodations
This recipe for halloumi kebabs is suitable for the following diets:
- low carb and keto friendly
- gluten free
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
Want to see more recipes like this?? Sign up for our newsletter to have new recipes delivered to your inbox, follow us on Instagram or like our Facebook page.
More recipes you’ll love!
If you like these halloumi skewers, you might want to check out some of our other awesome cheesey vegetarian recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
- 10 ounces halloumi cheese - cut into 8 pieces
- 1 zucchini - cut into ½" slices
- 1⁄4 red onion - cut into chunks
- 1⁄2 red pepper - cut into 8 pieces
- 4 cremini mushrooms - halved
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 3 Tablespoon chopped parsley
- sea salt and pepper
- Prepare your vegetables and halloumi cheese then place them in a bowl.
- Add the ingredients for the marinade to the bowl, give everything a good toss, and allow to marinate for 30 minutes or more.
- Build your skewers by adding a piece of each vegetable and a piece of halloumi cheese to each skewer. Double up the veggies and halloumi if your skewers are large like mine.
- Heat your grill to 500℉.
- Place the kebabs on the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes per side.
* nutritional information is calculated by online tools and may not be 100% accurate.
I know my vegetarian friends would LOVE this recipe! Such great flavors and perfect for the summer!
Thank you Jamie!
When grilling season is here, I am game for any kind of kebab. These look delicious. I think they would make a great appetizer for a bbq party.
Thanks so much Gloria!
Mama Maggie's Kitchen says
This Halloumi Kebabs looks incredibly delicious. Perfect for Grilling season I wish this were in front of me.
Can't wait to try this recipe, this weekend when I have visiting family!
Hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Matt Ivan says
Meat kebabs are one of my favorite things on the grill. I have to try it with this cheese!
It's a great alternative! Hope you get a chance to try them!