The perfect chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookie! Soft and buttery with the perfect level of sweetness and packed with healthy oatmeal, these are quite possibly the best cookie ever!
Stop what you are doing and make these cookies. Seriously. We don't share a lot of sweet recipes on this blog, so when we do you can trust that it is something epic. I've been making these cookies for years, in fact they are the only cookie I ever make.
I don't eat a lot of sugar or sweet things in general, but I do crave a good cookie every once in a while. My definition of good is probably pretty simple - it must be soft, buttery, not too sweet but sweet enough, have chocolate and for good measure have some redeeming quality that makes me feel there was SOMETHING nutritious about what I just ate.
These chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies check all the right boxes!
- just the right amount of sugar
- dark chocolate chips
- buttery and soft
- packed with healthy oatmeal
To top it all off they taste just as amazing a couple of days in as they do when they are freshly baked!
How to make chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
Preheat your oven to 350℉ and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
Add the room temperature butter and both sugars to a stand mixer or large bowl and cream together until combined. Add and combine the eggs one at a time.
Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda then add it to the stand mixer or bowl ⅓ at a time until everything is combined.
Stir in the oatmeal one cup at a time and then stir in the chocolate chips.
I'm not super professional about my cookie making so I don't have sized cookie scoops to accurately measure out each cookie. What I do is use a soup spoon (yep! just a spoon out of my cutlery drawer) and make a ball about 1 ¼" in diameter and place it on the cookie sheet. You will have 2 trays of 3 rows of 4 cookies. Make sure they are well spaced out as the cookies will spread a bit.
If you want to be a bit more professional than me, you can chill the cookie dough in the fridge for 30 minutes or so before baking - this will firm up the butter a bit and keep them thicker and help them from spreading too much.
Once you have your trays filled with cookies put them in the oven and bake them for about 12 minutes. You will want to check them at about 10 minutes as cooking times may vary from oven to oven and even batch to batch depending on the size of your cookies.
The cookies are done when the edges of them have browned. Remove them from the oven and place the cookies on a rack to cool.
Tips for the best chewy chocolate chip cookies
- make sure that you use room temperature butter so that the butter and sugar creams together easily without oversoftening the butter
- DON'T over bake the cookies! They may look not done when you take them out, but they will firm up. If you overcook them you won't have the soft chewy cookie that we are aiming for with this recipe
- After the cookies have cooled, heat one in the microwave for 10 seconds before eating for a close to freshly baked experience
Dietary Considerations and Accommodations
This recipe for chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies is suitable for the following diets:
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
More recipes you’ll love!
If you like these chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, you might want to check out some of our other tasty treats:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter - room temperature
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt then stir into the creamed mixture ⅓ at a time until just blended.
- Mix in the quick oats 1 cup at a time, and then mix in the chocolate chips.
- Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto the baking sheets in 3 rows of 4 cookies.
- Bake for about 12 minutes checking for doneness around 10 minutes for any differences in oven temperature or cookie size. The cookies are ready when the outer edges have browned.
- Remove from the oven when done and place the cookies on a rack to cool.
* nutritional information is calculated by online tools and may not be 100% accurate.