Pan seared halloumi cheese served with spiced roasted veggies and quinoa then drizzled with a minty cilantro yogurt sauce. This easy vegetarian meal is packed full of flavour and is a satisfying meal for all.
Since I've discovered halloumi cheese, I haven't been able to stop thinking about ways to eat it. It's just that delicious!
I wanted to make some kind of vegetarian bowl and halloumi was really calling to me as a protein. I figured it would go well with some roasted veggies and a lemon herb yogurt sauce like I had not long ago with some takeout falafel. Spoiler alert: it was an excellent idea 🙂
This halloumi bowl packs a lot of flavour, but overall it is really simple to put together.
All you need is:
- halloumi cheese
- quinoa (or any other grain you've got lying around)
- veggies like zucchini, red pepper and onion
- plain Greek yogurt
- a blend of Moroccan inspired spices (paprika, ground coriander, turmeric and cinnamon)
- a handful of fresh herbs (parsley, cilantro and mint)
- lemon juice
Toss the veggies in the spices and roast them, sear the halloumi, and mix up a quick sauce and you're pretty much ready to go. Easy, peasy.
Everything in here just works so well - the saltiness of the halloumi cheese plays nicely with the warmth and depth of the spiced veggies and the refreshing yogurt sauce is the perfect accent to cool it all off a bit. It's the perfect meatless meal, if you ask me.
How to make it
Mix together the olive oil, smoked paprika, ground coriander, turmeric and cinnamon then toss the chopped zucchini, red pepper and onion in the mixture. Season everything well with sea salt and pepper.
Spread out evenly on a large baking sheet, then roast at 450℉ for about 20 minutes.
While your veggies cook, whip up the sauce by blending up the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic and herbs in a mini food processor or blender.
Cook some quinoa according to package directions and fry up the halloumi cheese by heating a large skillet to medium heat and adding the slices to it cooking 2-3 minutes per side.
Assemble the bowls by adding quinoa to a plate, topping with veggies and fried halloumi then drizzling with the yogurt sauce.
More recipes you'll love
If you like this halloumi bowl you might love some of our other vegetarian recipes!
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Halloumi Bowls with Roasted Veggies and Herbed Yogurt Sauce
- 4 cups cooked quinoa
- 9 oz halloumi cheese - thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini - sliced
- 1 red pepper - sliced
- 1⁄2 red onion - sliced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
Yogurt herb dressing
- 3⁄4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 handful cilantro
- handful parsley
- 4 leaves mint
- 1 clove garlic
- 1-2 Tablespoons water
- Place the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, mint, cilantro, parlsey and water into a mini food processor or blender then season with salt and pepper.
- Blend until smooth.
- Heat your oven to 450℉.
- Add the sliced veggies to a large bowl, then pour in the olive oil, paprika, turmeric, ground coriander and cinnamon. Season with salt and pepper, then mix well before baking for 20-25 minutes turning once halfway through.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat and add a little bit of oil. Arrange the halloumi on the skillet and fry about 2-3 minute per side under golden brown.
- To serve, add quinoa to a plate, cover in veggies and halloumi then drizzle with the herby yogurt sauce,
* nutritional information is calculated by online tools and may not be 100% accurate.