This grain free and plant based falafel bowl is such a great lunch or light dinner. Homemade falafel is the heart of this bowl along with a parsley tomato salad, cucumber, olives and drizzled with tahini sauce.
If you’re like me and you make a batch of falafel and keep them around the fridge for a week looking for ways to eat them up, then this bowl is for you!
I do love a good falafel sandwich, but sometimes you just need something different – and healthier – like a salad, and that’s where this falafel bowl comes in. Instead of just pulling falafel balls out of the fridge and dunking them in tahini sauce for a snack I throw a bowl like this together.
The parsley tomato salad is kind of like a grain free tabbouleh which I love on a falafel sandwich, and I love the cucumbers in here that keep this falafel bowl light and refreshing.
How to make a falafel bowl
Start with a batch of our homemade falafel. I make them the authentic way, with soaked chickpeas, so plan ahead for this one – there are 24 hours to soaking the chickpeas before making the falafel.
If you’ve already got falafel on hand, the rest is pretty quick.
Chop up the parsley, red onion and cherry tomatoes for the salad, then mix it all together along with the olive oil and lemon juice. Don’t forget to season it with salt and pepper.
Divide up the salad and falafel between the 2 bowls, then add the sliced cucumber and black olives before you drizzle everything with the tahini sauce.
This bowl is incredibly versatile – you really could throw in anything that you want, but I would suggest if you want to make any additions keep it with the regional theme. Pickled turnips would be a great addition and any leftover roasted veggies you might have in the fridge sound great too!
Dietary Considerations and Accommodations
This falafel bowl is suitable for the following diets:
- vegan and vegetarian
- grain free
- gluten free & dairy free
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
More recipes you’ll love!
If you like this falafel bowl, you might want to check out some of our other awesome light and healthy meals:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
* This recipe card may contain affiliate links to products we know and love. We earn a small commission on qualified sales at no cost to you.
For the bowls
- 8-10 falafel
- 2 cups chopped parlsey (about 1 bunch)
- 1/2 cup quartered cherry tomato
- 1⁄8 cup diced red onion
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1⁄4 cucumber (sliced)
- 8-10 brine-cured black olives
For the tahini sauce
- 1⁄2 cup tahini
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 tsp sea salt
Parlsey tomato salad:
- Mix together the chopped parsley, diced cherry tomatoes and red onion. Add the olive oil and lemon juice and toss to mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tahini, water, lemon juice and sea salt to a blender and blend until smooth
For the bowls:
- Divide the tomato-parsley salad, falafel, sliced cucumber and black olives between 2 bowls. Drizzle with tahini sauce.