A meatless re-creation of Taco Bells' classic wrap, this vegetarian crunchwrap supreme swaps the beef for seasoned lentils and adds mashed avocado for a flavor boost. Ready in just 20 minutes, it's almost as quick as take out!
I have to admit, when I'm on the run and need a quick bite to eat I'm never sad to make a stop at Taco Bell. It's my daughters favourite, and I love making her happy, but I also don't mind digging into a crunchwrap every now and then! There's just something so good about that taco burrito hybrid!
I've recreated the magic at home, but with a vegetarian twist while sticking to the core flavour of the original Taco Bell crunchwrap. I swapped the beef for seasoned lentils, the cheese sauce for real cheddar cheese, and threw in some mashed avocado with cilantro to add some freshness and give the flavour a bit of a boost.
You're going to love this!
- Easy meatless meal - My version of the crunchwap supreme trades out the beef for seasoned lentils. It's an easy swap that will even keep meat eaters satisfied making this vegetarian version a great meal for meatless nights.
- Better than the original! - This vegetarian version not only is a bit healthier by packing in some fibre from the lentils and the all around flavour is so much fresher and better than the quick service original.
- 20 minute meal - Putting these crunchwraps together is almost as quick as picking then up! The lentils come together in minutes, and the rest of the work is just building and folding the crunchwrap.
- Flour tortillas - these are the wrappers. You want to go with large sized tortillas.
- Tostadas - the crunch in the crunchwrap! If you can't find tostadas, you can fry up some corn tortillas in a bit of oil until the are crispy.
- Lentils - the star of the show!
- Spices - chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Lettuce - I used romaine, but use whatever you like here!
- Cheese - cheddar if you're looking for the same flavour as Taco Bell, but any of your favourite cheeses would work here.
- Green onion - red onion would work really great here as well.
- Tomato - I usually use romas because they are nice and fleshy, but any tomato will work.
- Avocado - this is what takes this copy cat to the next level!
- Cilantro - because everything is just better with it.
- Sour cream - because you can't call it supreme without it!
How to make it
There's just a couple quick steps to get these crunchwraps put together and they actually come together quite quickly once everything is chopped and the lentils are seasoned. Most of the work is in building and wrapping the crunchwrap.
Prepare the veggies. Chop the tomato, slice the lettuce and diced up the green onion. Mash the avocado into a bowl, mix with the cilantro and season with salt.
Season the lentils. Heat a skillet to medium heat and add the lentils along with the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and onion powder and ¼ cup of water. Season with salt and pepper and give everything a good mix. Let the lentil cook for a couple of minutes until the water has reduced.
Cut the torillas. Using a tostada shaped bowl as a guide, cut a circle out of the middle of two of the flour tortillas. Set the cirlces aside for later and discard the rest.
Build the crunchwrap. Lay out a tortilla and place half of the lentils in the centre of it spread out about the size of the tostada then top with cheddar cheese and sour cream. Place a tostada on top and gently press to flatten the lentils a bit. Spread the mashed avocado across the tostada, then top with lettuce, tomato and green onion.
Close the crunchwrap. Place the small tortilla circle on top of the filling then press down gently. Begin folding the tortilla in bit by bit working in a cirlce. In the end the wrap will have a hexagon shape.
Cook the crunch wrap. Place the wraps seam side down onto a large skillet heated to medium heat. Cook on the first side until the bottom is crisped and browned and then flip and do the same on the second.
More Recipes You'll Love!
If you like this vegetarian crunchwrap, you might want to check out some of our other vegetarian Tex-Mex recipes!
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Vegetarian Crunchwrap Supreme
- 2 tostada shells
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1.5 cups cooked lentils
- 1.5 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon oniion powder
- 1 avocado
- ½ Tablespoon minced cilantro
- 3 Tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shedded lettuce
- 1 roma tomato - diced
- 1 green onion - diced
- Dice the tomato, shred the lettuce, slice the onion, and mashed the avocado. Season the avocado with sea salt and mix in the cilantro.
- Using a tostada sized bowl to measure, cut two circles out of two of the tortillas and set them aside. Discard the rest.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat and add the lentils. Add the spices along with ¼ cup of water and mix well. Let the lentils cook until the water has reduced.
- Add half the lentils to the centre of each of the tortillas and spread out to the size of the tortilla. Top with shredded cheese and sour cream then place a tostada over top. Gently press down to flatten. Spread the mashed avocado on to the tostada then top with lettuce, tomato and onion.
- Place the cut circle tortillas on top of the filling and press gently to flatten. Begin pulling the sides of the bottom tortilla up to close the wrap over the circle tortilla.
- Place the crunchwraps seam side down on to a skillet heated to medium heat and cook until the bottom is crisp and browned. Flip and continue the second side until the same.
* nutritional information is calculated by online tools and may not be 100% accurate.