Vegetarian Burritos!! Taco spiced lentils, fajita veggies and kale, brown rice, smashed avocado, salsa and cheese all wrapped up in a tortilla. Moderately healthy (all those veggies! brown rice!), all flavour, and perfectly comforting.
Burrito lovers! It's here! The BEST vegetarian burrito!
Taco flavoured lentils, sauteed fajita veggies and kale, mashed avocado, brown rice, shredded cheese and salsa - all wrapped up in a flour tortilla for the perfect handheld meal.
Thes best part of this vegetarian burrito is that it's not just tasty, it's healthy too! With all those veggies and fibre rich brown rice in there, I love that this a burrito that can nourish both the soul and the body 🙂
The lentils that I used for this recipe are very similar to those used in my lentil tacos, but made on the stovetop with canned lentils instead of dried lentils in the Instant Pot.
How to make a vegetarian burrito
There are a couple of pieces to this, but it's fairly easy and definitely worth the work.
Hopefully, you have some leftover rice, if not - make a bit.
Prepare the lentils by simmering them in a skillet along with some water and spices.
Saute up some green and red peppers, onion, and kale.
Shred up some cheese, mash up some avocado, and start building your burritos.
I like to layer it in the following order:
But you're free to build it however you like 🙂
When everything is piled on, fold the 2 ends of the burrito in, then fold over one side, and give the whole thing a roll while keeping the edges tucked in to close it all up.
For a more detailed photo instruction of folding up a burrito, check out our freezer breakfast burritos - there's a step by step tutorial over there.
I like to toss the burritos on my panini press to crisp them up a bit, but this can also be done in an oven or stovetop in a skillet.
Dietary Considerations and Accommodations
This vegetarian burrito recipe is suitable for the following diets:
- for vegan, omit the cheese or substitute with vegan cheese
More recipes you’ll love!
If you like this vegetarian burrito recipe, you might want to check out some of our other awesome vegetarian Mexican inspired recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
for the lentils:
- 1 19 oz can lentils - drained
- 1⁄2 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
For the fajita veggies:
- 1 Tablespoon cooking oil
- 1⁄2 red pepper - sliced
- ½ green pepper - sliced
- 1⁄2 onion - sliced
- 1 cup kale - sliced
For the rest of the burrito:
- 2 avocados
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 4 large flour tortillas
To make the lentils:
- Heat a skillet to medium heat then add the drained lentils, water, and spices.
- Stir well and allow the water to bubble before turning the heat to low and letting the lentils simmer for 10-15 mins. The lentils should still be moist, but the water will have mostly evaporated.
To make the fajita veggies:
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat and add the oil.
- Add the sliced onion, peppers and kale to the skillet and stir fry until they begin to get tender - about 5 minutes.
To make the burritos:
- Mash the avocado with a pinch of salt and set aside.
- Using ¼ of each of the ingredients, begin building your burritos one at a time by placing the ingredients in a line down the middle of the burrito adding some salsa along the fillings.
- Fold in the 2 short edges, then fold one long edge over on top of the 2 folded short edges.
- Roll the burrito over the final long edge until it is closed, then set aside and continue building the rest of the burritos.
To finish the burritos:
- Place them in a panini press until the tortilla is crisp
- Crisp them in a large skillet heated to medium and turning them to crisp all sides
- Bake them in the oven at 400℉ for about 15 minutes turning once about halfway through.
* nutritional information is calculated by online tools and may not be 100% accurate.
Oh wow! Love the fresh ingredients in these burritos. An easy meal to pull together that my whole family loves, and I can customize it to each picky eater. This one is going in my regular recipe rotation.
I love a good burrito recipe and this one looks so good!
Thank you Genevieve!
Eden | Sweet Tea and Thyme says
These burritos were AMAZING! So flavorful and fresh, my son even asked for them to be in his lunches for school. A winner!
I'm happy to hear you enjoyed them 🙂
This is so good, I never thought I would hear my family raves about vegetarian burritos. This is going to be a repeat dish for us. 🙂
I'm glad to hear you all loved them 🙂
You have just proven with this recipe that healthy can by tasty - delish! I could eat this all day!
me too!!! 🙂
Michiel's Kitchen says
I absolutely love burrito's, and these look absolutely delicious!
Thanks so much!! We are big burrito fans here too 🙂