This easy taco dip is layered with refried beans, avocado, cheese, tomato, black olives, onion and cilantro. It's light, refreshing, full of fresh flavour and an entertaining favourite.
I've had an obsession with taco dip from a really young age. When my mom used to make dips like these for her parties she'd often make me a little side dish of my own so I could munch away with our hovering over the adults. My love for taco dip hasn't changed since then, but the ingredients have had an overhaul and these days if I want I can make a whole bowl for myself.
What is in it?
The ingredients for the taco dips of my earlier days were cream cheese, sour cream, salsa and cheddar cheese.
These days I like to keep it more on the whole food end of things and lighter on the fat content so the layers go like this:
- refried beans - pinto bean or black bean. I used pinto beans here because that was what I had, but black beans are my favourite.
- Avocado - simply just mashed with a fork. You could get fancy here and add guacamole, but since most of the ingredients for guacamole are on this dip I just stick with the mashed avocado.
- Cheese - I used habanero cheddar for a bit of flavour here, but regular cheddar or Monterrey jack are both perfectly good here.
- Tomatoes - Romas are my favourite to use here because they have more flesh and fewer seeds, but you could use anything in a pinch
- Red onion - green onion or white onion could be used here too.
- Black olives - add a nice saltiness to the dip
- Cilantro - pile it on!
How to make it
To start, gather up all your ingredients and find a suitable serving tray. I used a 9 inch pie plate.
Heat the refried beans on the stove until they are just warm (they will spread easier into the dish that way, and mash the avocados together.
Spread the refried beans across the bottom of the pie plate, then build the dip in the following order:
Can I make it ahead of time?
This dip holds up well in the fridge and can be made up to a day ahead of time. Just cover firmly with plastic wrap until ready to serve.
Leftovers (if you have any!) can be stored the same way.
Are you on Pinterest? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas.
Want to see more recipes like this?? Sign up for our newsletter to have new recipes delivered to your inbox, follow us on Instagram or like our Facebook page.
More Recipes You'll Love
If you like this taco dip you might want to check out some of our other dippable recipes!
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
- 1 20 oz can refried pinto or black beans (about 2 ½ cups)
- 2 avocados mashed
- 1 Roma tomato diced
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 Tablespoons diced red onion
- 3 Tablespoons sliced black olives
- minced fresh cilantro
- Heat the can of refried beans on the stove until it is just warm to help them spread better on the dish.
- Spread the heated refried beans evenly across the bottom of your serving dish.
- Spread the mashed avocado across the top of the beans
- Sprinkle the avocado layer with the shredded cheddar cheese
- Then top with the diced tomato, black olives and cilantro
- Serve with tortilla chips for dipping