Creamy kale gnocchi with bacon and onions is a quick and delicious pantry dinner that comes together in under 30 minutes – and all in one pot! Decadent, flavourful, and perfectly cozy, this dish is great any night of the week.
I think I may have found my new favourite comfort meal.
This creamy kale gnocchi has everything going for it:
- quick and easy – on the table in under 30 minutes with only a couple steps and minimal mess.
- totally cozy – comforting meals are definitely giving me life these days.
- made from pantry ingredients – big win, because I know we are all looking for more pantry meals.
- kale, bacon and onions – is there anything that this trio doesn’t taste amazing in???
Pasta is normally my go to for easy comfort food and somehow I always forget about gnocchi and how tasty it is. I was so glad to come home from holiday to find James had stashed some into our cupboards. I immediately started dreaming about a creamy bowl of potato-y goodness and started scouring the cupboards for tasty ingredients and that, my friends, is how this recipe was born.
How to make creamy kale gnocchi
Start by getting a pot of boiling salted water ready to cook your gnocchi when it’s time, then heat a large skillet to medium heat.
When the skillet is hot, and the diced bacon and cook for a minute or two until the fat begins to render out of it.
Once you have some fat going in the pan, it’s time to add the onion. Cook the bacon and onions together while stirring occasionally until the bacon is nice and crispy and the onions have cooked and started to brown.
A couple of minutes before the onions have cooked add the gnocchi to the boiling water and cook for about 3 minutes. The gnocchi is ready when they start floating to the top of the water.
Drain the gnocchi (reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta water) and add them to the skillet with the bacon and onions along with the frozen kale. Give everything a good toss around until the kale begins to thaw.
Add the pasta water, crushed garlic and cream to the skillet then increase the heat to high. Bring the sauce to a quick boil then immediately reduce it down to a low simmer.
Let the sauce simmer until the kale has heated through and the sauce has reduced a bit.
Serve garnish with toasted breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
Dietary Considerations and Accommodations
This creamy kale gnocchi recipe is suitable for the following diets:
- for vegetarian omit the bacon and start cooking the onions in a tbsp of oil.
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
More recipes you’ll love!
If you like this kale gnocchi recipe, you might want to check out some of our other delicious recipes using kale:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Creamy Kale Gnocchi with Bacon and Onions
- 500 g gnocchi
- 3 slices bacon sliced into little strips
- 1 small onion diced
- 1.5 cups frozen chopped kale
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- sea salt & pepper
- toasted breadcrumbs garnish
- parmesan cheese garnish
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until some of the fat has rendered out (about a minute or two)
- Add the onions and saute until the bacon is crispy and the onions have cooked.
- While the onions cook, cook the gnocchi in a pot of boiling salted water until it floats (about 3 minutes)
- Drain the gnocchi (reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water), then add them to the skillet.
- Add the pasta water, cream, garlic and kale to the skillet, give everything a good stir to incorporate and bring it to a boil.
- When the sauce is boiling, reduce the heat to a low simmer and cook until the kale has heated and the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Serve with parmesan cheese and toasted breadcrumbs.