We love savoury steel cut oats for breakfast (check out our recipes for Soft Boiled Egg and Asparagus on Oats and Savoury Steel Cut Oats with Chimichurri if you haven’t already), and these Miso Breakfast Oats are my new favourite go-to breakfast lately. They are quick and easy when cooked in the instant pot, and full of warm, comforting umami flavour.
If you love the flavour of miso soup, Miso Breakfast Oats are the perfect way to add some savoury oat goodness to your mornings. Just set your oats to cook in your Instant Pot, and when they are done, stir in the seasonings and kale and you are ready to eat. We love using fresh kale for our morning savoury oats, but the frozen kale in this recipe makes preparation more convenient for busy mornings, and who doesn’t want an easier way to eat a healthy breakfast?
Did you know that miso soup is served as part of a traditional Japanese breakfast??? Miso paste, being a fermented food, is full of probiotics and promotes a healthy gut environment and aids in digestion and that’s some great benefits to add to your first meal of the day.
Ingredients for Miso Breakfast Oats:
- steel cut oats
- unsweetened almond milk
- miso paste
- frozen chopped kale
- nutritional yeast
- green onion
How to Make Miso Breakfast Oats
- Place the oats, along with the water and almond milk in your instant pot and press the ‘porridge’ button. This should set the cooking timer to 8 minutes. When the oats have finished cooking, leave the Instant Pot to naturally release some pressure for about 6 minutes before manually relieving the pressure.
- Set your instant pot to saute and add the miso and nutritional yeast. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes to heat up the frozen kale.
- Divide the oats between two bowls, and top with the chopped avocado and green onions
If you have made this recipe, don’t forget to rate it below!
Miso Breakfast Oats
Instant pot miso flavoured steel cut oats with kale and avocado
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats uncooked
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup frozen chopped kale
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 avocado diced
- 2 green onions sliced
place the steel cut oats, water and almond milk in your instant pot and cook for 8 minutes. When the oats have finished cooking, allow the pressure to automatically release for 6 minutes, then manually release.
set your instant pot to saute, and stir in the frozen kale, miso paste, tahini, tamari and nutritional yeast. Cook while stirring for 2-3 minutes to heat up the frozen kale.
Divide the oats between 2 bowls and top with avocado and green onions