Miso eggplant is a flavourful and easy side dish. Oven roasted eggplant rounds are drizzled with a bright miso sauce made from miso, lime juice & rice wine vinegar.
I think eggplant is one of the vegetables I can just never get enough of. There is something about its mild flavour and its soft texture that I just go wild for!
I used to be intimidated by cooking eggplant, and by intimidated I mean turned off a bit because of all that salting and waiting I thought you had to do to it so it didn’t taste bitter. Turns out, you don’t have to salt eggplant before cooking it, you just may want to if it’s been sitting around for a while and seen better days, or you want to optimize the texture of it when it is fried. This is good news to me – because I stopped salting it years ago (and have never found it to taste bitter) and I thankfully have had much more eggplant in my life because of that!
If you love eggplant the same way I do you should also check out our recipe for chickpea salad with grilled eggplant!
Why you will love this miso eggplant
- it’s SO easy to prepare
- the miso sauce is full of flavour from the umami in the miso paste to the tang in the lime juice
- eggplant is rich in nutrients and high in antioxidants and paired with the gut healthy miso sauce that pretty much makes this dish a superfood!
How to make miso eggplant
Preheat your oven to 425℉ and spread the eggplant rounds out evenly across a large baking sheet and brush both sides with some olive oil – don’t crowd them or they will just steam instead of roast.
Roast the eggplant for 12-15 minutes turning once about halfway through. You will know they are ready when they look soft and turned a bit of a golden colour.
While the eggplant rounds are roasting, whisk together the miso, water, lime juice and rice vinegar to make the sauce.
When the eggplant has finished cooking, arrange on a plate and drizzle with the miso sauce.
Dietary Considerations and Accommodations
This recipe for miso eggplant is suitable for the following diets:
- vegan and vegetarian
- clean eating
- Keto friendly
- gluten free, dairy free, and allergy friendly
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
More recipes you’ll love!
If you like this recipe for miso eggplant, you might want to check out some of our other great side recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
* This recipe card may contain affiliate links to products we know and love. We earn a small commission on qualified sales at no cost to you.
- 1 eggplant (cut into 1/2" rounds)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- 1.5 Tablespoons miso paste
- 1.5 Tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 Tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 lime - juice of
- 1 scallion (sliced)
- Heat your oven to 425℉
- Brush the eggplant with oil, and season with salt and pepper and spread out on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Roast the eggplant rounds for 12-15 minutes.
- Whisk together the miso paste and the water. Add the rice vinegar, ginger and lime juice.
- Pour over the eggplant and garnish with the scallion