Perfectly crisp fries - right out of your oven!! These crispy oven fries are restaurant quality and full of flavour made right at home without a deep fryer.
Have you ever wondered how to make baked fries crispy?? There are a couple of tricks, but you can do it at home and without a deep fryer!
This recipe makes fries for about 6 as a side dish, but can easily be halved if you do not have two large baking sheets to cook them on, or if you just don't want to make that many fries.
I served my fries up with a garlic parsley dipping sauce (included in the recipe) and neither lasted long in this house!
How to Make Crispy Oven Baked Fries
Start by slicing the potatoes into fries. There is no need to peel the potatoes unless you prefer them that way. Did you know that most of a potatoes nutrition is in its peel??
I like to slice them into fries about ⅓ of an inch thick. You can make them thicker or thinner if you like, but you will need to adjust your cooking time.
After your potatoes are sliced into fries we are going to give them a bath. I find it easiest to do this in the sink, so just make sure it is clean then fill it up with water. Put the fries into the water and let them soak there for at least twenty minutes. You can do this for longer if you have time, but I find 20 minutes is just fine.
When the soaking time is up, put your fries into a colander and give them a quick rinse. The purpose of the bath is to rinse off any excess starch, so I like to give them a final rinse in clean water. Give the colander a bit of a shake make sure you have removed as much water as possible off the fries.
Spread out a clean kitchen towel on your counter and empty the fries onto it. Crispy fries start with dry potatoes. Use the towel to collect as much residual water as possible.
When your fries are dry, place them into a large bowl and add a few tablespoons of cooking oil. You don't want to put a lot, just enough to coat the fries. Toss the fries around until they are well coated.
Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and spread the fries out amongst them. You want to have them in a single layer and ideally, you don't want any of the fries touching. They will not get crispy if they are touching each other too much - they will just steam.
Pop the trays in a 450℉ oven and bake for 20-25 minutes checking once about 15 minutes in to turn the fries.
Season your fries with salt as soon as you pull the tray out of the oven. If the fries cool, the salt will not stick.
Tips for crispy oven fries
- Use russet potatoes.
- Make sure to cut your fries into uniform slices. This way the fries will all have the same cooking time and you won't have any undercooked or overcooked.
- Make sure to soak the fries in the water bath for at least 20 minutes. The purpose of this is to remove any excess starch from the potatoes which helps to keep them from sticking together.
- Dry off your fries after soaking. I spread them out on a clean kitchen towel and dap off any excess moisture before I toss them in oil.
- DO NOT CROWD THE PAN. Ideally, you want to have no fries touching each other and a bit of space in between. If the pan is crowded, when the fries heat up and start releasing moisture they will just steam the surrounding fries and nothing will get crispy.
This recipe for crispy oven fries is suitable for the following diets:
- vegan and vegetarian
- gluten free
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
Want to see more recipes like this?? Sign up for our newsletter to have new recipes delivered to your inbox, follow us on Instagram or like our Facebook page.
More Side Dish Recipes You'll Love
If you like this recipe for crispy oven fries, you might want to check out some of our other tasty side dish recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Crispy Oven Fries
- 2 pounds russet potatoes
- ¼ cooking oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
For the Fries:
- Heat your oven to 450℉ and then slice the potatoes into fries about ⅓ inch think.
- Fill your sink with water and soak the fries in it for at least 20 minutes (this removes the starch which helps the fries get crispy)
- Strain the fries in a colander and then dry with a kitchen towel. The more dry your fries are, the crispier they will get.
- Place the fries in a large bowl, pour in some cooking oil and then toss to coat. You don't need a lot of oil, just enough to coat the fries. Probably about ¼ cup.
- Spread the fries out across 2 large parchment lined baking sheets. Try where possible to have the fries not touching each other.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, taking them out once after 15 minutes to check on them and turn the fries.
For the sauce:
- Combine the sour cream, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and parsley
* nutritional information is calculated by online tools and may not be 100% accurate.
Mindee Taylor says
My husband was just asking for some fries like this last night! Got your recipe printed and totally going to make them!
I am so excited for you guys!! You're going to love them!
Best oven fry recipe I've ever tried. Keeping this in my back pocket!
I'm so happy to hear that! 🙌