Instant Pot black bean soup is a hearty, flavorful and economical soup. Dried black beans, peppers and onion are cooked with chili powder, cumin and paprika in this easy to make meal. We have this soup on our meal plan often through the winter, and we always have some on hand in the freezer for convenient meals.
This black bean soup starts with dried beans so even in a pressure cooker it still has a bit of cook time, but this is as close to dump and start possible so while it is cooking you are completely free to do other things and just wait for your soup to be cooked. Perfect for busy nights, or weekends when you don’t want to spend to much time with hands on cooking.
There is no need to soak your beans! This is one of the reasons I love the Instant Pot so much. I find dried beans have a much better flavour than those in cans, and the Instant Pot makes it so much easier to eat them!
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT BLACK BEAN SOUP
Prepare your peppers and onions by dicing them into bite-sized pieces. I like mine fairly small so that they kind of melt into the soup, but if you prefer chunkier vegetables go ahead and chop them how you like.
Add the stock, beans, spices and vegetables into the Instant Pot, give everything a quick stir, and set it to cook on high pressure! That’s it!
What to serve with black bean soup
This soup truly is hearty enough for use to consider a full meal, especially with toppings, but great sides would be crusty bread or a nice light salad.
I love toppings on my black bean soup! You can do what we have here and add pico de gallo, avocado and sour cream – kind of like a low carb black bean taco in a bowl! Other great toppings are cheese or tortilla chips if you are into that.
- This soup will keep for at least 5 days in the fridge, so it is a great meal prep recipe
- It freezes really well! We portion it out into single or double servings and always have some on hand in the freezer for quick meals.
- Do NOT double this recipe! It will put your Instant Pot over the fill line. If you want to make a double batch, you will need to cook it twice.
This recipe for easy bean salad is suitable for the following diets:
- vegan and vegetarian
- clean eating
- gluten free, dairy free, and allergy friendly
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
If you like this recipe for Instant Pot black bean soup, you might want to check out some of our other Instant Pot recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
* This recipe card may contain affiliate links to products we know and love. We earn a small commission on qualified sales at no cost to you.
- 1 lb dry black beans
- 1 red pepper (diced)
- 1 green pepper (diced)
- 3 celery ribs (diced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- Add all the ingredients to your Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 40 minutes and allow for natural release.