These fluffy and moist healthy carrot muffins trade oil for applesauce, white flour for whole wheat, and limit refined sugar. Spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg, these muffins are also packed full of carrots making them a healthier choice for a breakfast on the go or an afternoon snack.
I love muffins, but I am always looking for ways to make them a bit healthier. Omitting oil for apple sauce and swapping white flour for whole wheat flour are two of my favourite ways to add health to a traditionally nutritionally void muffin.
These healthy carrot muffins use both whole wheat flour and apple sauce, are packed with shredded carrot and use minimal sugar making them a snack you can feel good about eating and serving to your family.
how to make healthy carrot muffins
When I first started swapping out the oil for applesauce and using whole wheat flour I noticed that the texture of the muffin was a little denser. Over the years I have developed a method that makes a lighter and fluffy muffin when making these substitutions.
Preheat your oven to 350℉.
Shred the carrots using a grater or a food processor.
Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and ground ginger in a medium sized bowl and mix thoroughly.
Using a stand mixer whisk together the sugar, eggs, almond milk, maple syrup, applesauce and vanilla on high speed for 2-3 minutes. What you want to achieve is a light and frothy liquid mixture - this is what will help give the muffins a lighter texture. If you don't have a stand mixer, you can do this by hand - it will just take more time and more effort.
Carefully fold the dry mixture into the wet mixture ⅓ at a time.
When the dry mixture is combined with the wet mixture, carefully fold in the shredded carrots.
Line a muffin tray and divide the mixture equally amongst the 12 cups. If you don't use liners, make sure you grease the cups well so the muffins don't stick.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick dipped into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
This recipe for healthy carrot muffins is suitable for the following diets:
- vegetarian and pescatarian
- dairy free and oil free
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
MORE MUFFIN RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE
If you like this recipe for healthy carrot muffins, you might want to check out some of our other awesome muffin recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Healthy Carrot Muffins
* This recipe card may contain affiliate links to products we know and love. We earn a small commission on qualified sales at no cost to you.
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanillla
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup applesauce (or oil)
- Preheat your oven to 350℉
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add the wet ingredients to a stand mixer and mix on high speed for 3-4 minutes. You want the mixture to be bubbly and frothy.
- Add half the dry mixture to the wet bowl and fold in then fold in the remaining mixture.
- Adding one handful at a time, carefully fold the shredded carrot into the muffin mixture.
- Line or grease muffin tray and divide the mixture evenly over the 12 cups.
- Cook for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick placed in the centre of a muffin comes out dry.