Our daughter LOVES muffins, and we love making healthy muffins for her so that we can feel good about what she is snacking on.
These banana coconut muffins are made healthier by swapping out white sugar for real maple syrup and reducing the amount of sweetener by half, as well as swapping out the traditional vegetable oil or butter for a healthier fat – coconut oil. Because of the reduced amount of sweetener, these muffins are not nearly as sweet as traditional muffins, but they are full of banana coconut flavour with a hint of cocoa, and they make an amazing healthier snack for muffin lovers as they only contain 150 calories a piece. They are also taste approved by our resident muffin loving monster – she has nearly devoured the entire batch!.
How to Make Healthy Banana Coconut Muffins
We always have frozen bananas hanging around in our freezer and these muffins are a perfect way to use them. Simply thaw out the frozen bananas for an hour or so before you plan to make your muffins.
- Place all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and whisk them together until they are thoroughly combined.
- Remove the banana pulp from their skins and put them in a medium bowl. Whisk the banana until it is saucy and free of lumps.
- Add the remaining wet ingredients to the banana bowl and whisk until throughly mixed.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredient bowl and use a spoon to combine.
- Line (or grease) a standard muffin tin and divide the mixture amongst the muffin cups – each cup will be filled about 2/3 full.
- Bake and enjoy!
Tips for making Banana Coconut Muffins
- If you don’t have frozen bananas on hand, you can use fresh – just make sure they are ripe and mash them really well with a fork until they become ‘saucy’
- to make these even healthier, you could swap the coconut oil for applesauce – it will make for a denser texture in your muffin though
- If you don’t already have a stash of frozen bananas, start one! When you have fresh bananas that fully ripen before you have a chance to eat them just toss them in the freezer to use in smoothies or these Banana Coconut Muffins 🙂
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below. For weekly updates on new posts sign up for our newsletter.
Healthy Banana Coconut Muffins
Banana muffins made healthier!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 large bananas (previously frozen and thawed)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
Preheat your oven to 375℉ ℉
Place all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly until the dry ingredients are thoroughly combined
Remove the skin from the thawed bananas and place the pulp in a a medium sized bowl. Whisk the banana until it is relatively smooth and free of chunks.
Add the remaining wet ingredients to the bananas and whisk until the ingredients are combined
Add the contents of the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients. Using a wooden spoon or spatula stir until the dry ingredients have been thoroughly mixed into the wet ingredients
Line or grease a standard muffin tray. Divide the mixture into the 12 cups. Each cup should be filled about 2/3 full
Bake for 20-25 mins, depending on your oven. I always check my muffins at the 20 minute mark.