These easy everyday tofu tacos have a light smoky flavour and come together in no time at all from pantry ingredients. Perfect for an easy, meatless taco night!
I wish every night was taco night.
I love tacos in every shape and form from seafood tacos to breakfast tacos.
Our go to for an easy taco dinner is lentil tacos, but I thought that I would give tofu a try for a meat free taco meal and they just might be the next best thing!
These tofu tacos are so easy to make and come together from pantry ingredients which is great for those nights that you want a quick, healthy meal without having to shop for special ingredients.
How to make tofu tacos
These tofu tacos are as simple to make as they are delicious.
Start with a block of tofu cut into cubes, then mash with a fork until the tofu is crumbled into small pieces.
Heat a large skillet to medium heat and add a couple of tablespoons of oil. When the oil is hot, add the tofu add saute while stirring occasionally to cook out the excess moisture in the tofu.
When the tofu has dried a bit and begins to crisp, add the water, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, paprika, onion powder and nutritional yeast to a bowl and mix together. Pour the spice mixture onto the tofu in the skillet and reduce the heat to low.
Simmer the tofu in the sauce for about 10 minutes.
Prepare your tortillas according to package directions and serve with your favourite toppings, because tacos are pretty much a delivery system for all the yummy things you can put on top of them and the list is endless!
- micro greens
- avocado salsa verde
- pico de gallo
- chopped baby spinach
- guacamole or sliced avocado
- pickled jalapenos
- cilantro lime slaw
Dietary Considerations and Accommodations
This recipe for tofu tacos is suitable for the following diets:
- gluten free
- dairy free
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
Want to see more recipes like this?? Sign up for our newsletter to have new recipes delivered to your inbox, follow us on Instagram or like our Facebook page.
More recipes you’ll love!
If you like these tofu tacos, you might want to check out some of our other favourite tofu recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
- 14 oz extra firm tofu
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast - optional but encouraged!
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 10 corn tortillas
- Cut the tofu in cubes and place in a bowl. Using a fork, mash the tofu until it turns into crumbles.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat and add a tablespoon or 2 of oil. When the oil is hot, add the tofu to the pan and cook while stirring with a spoon occasionally until the excess moisture has evaporated off the tofu.
- At this point the tofu should move more freely around the pan and seem less sticky.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the tomato paste in the water and add the chili powder, sea salt, cumin, paprika, onion powder and nutritional yeast then mix well.
- Pour the spice mixture over the tofu and reduce the heat to low. Allow the tofu to simmer in the sauce for about 10 mins, or until the tofu has absorbed most of the water......
- Serve with your favourtie taco toppings.
* nutritional information is calculated by online tools and may not be 100% accurate.
Leave a Reply