Easy fish tacos are the perfect weeknight meal! Seasoned fish is pan-fried then paired with a light cilantro slaw on corn tortillas for a quick and healthy weeknight Mexican dinner.
I am definitely an all-around taco fan, but I think that fish tacos have to be one of my favourite kinds. I love that you can prepare them in so many different ways – crispy and fried or delicate and flaky, tangy slaw or creamy, and don’t even get me started on fish taco sauce!!
Sometimes I want to go to all the trouble of gathering all the ingredients and making all the things for a really epic fish taco feast, but usually, these easy fish tacos are my go to.
They are quick and easy to prepare with common ingredients, family friendly and they taste AMAZING.
What is the best fish for fish tacos?
My personal favourite fish to use for fish tacos is cod like I’ve used in this recipe. It has a great texture and just the right amount of flakiness. I chose Icelandic cod for these tacos because they are the sustainable option – I also really like the large flakes of the flesh – just perfect for tacos!
Other options that I use for fish tacos are tilapia and haddock, but you really can use any white fish for these.
How to make easy fish tacos
Heat a large non-stick frying pan to medium heat. Add a splash of cooking oil to the pan.
Mix the spices together in a small bowl and then sprinkle it on to both sides of the fish, making sure to pat it down so it sticks on to the fish when it cooks. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
Place the fish into the middle of the pan. Cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of your fish. Pay attention to the thickest side of the fish. As it cooks, you should see it becoming opaque from the bottom of the pan up to the exposed side. When you see that the fish is opaque about halfway up it is time to flip, and then cook the fish a couple minutes more on the other side. For me, it was about 5 minutes on the first side and then 3 on the second.
While your fish is cooking, shred up the cabbage and place into a medium bowl with the diced green onion, cilantro, mayonnaise and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper and give everything a good stir.
What to serve with easy fish tacos
These fish tacos are great on there own, but they also go well with a side salad.
Make sure to top with your favourite toppings as well!! My favourites are avocado, pico de gallo, pickled jalapenos and salsa.
This recipe for easy bean salad is suitable for the following diets:
- clean eating
- gluten free and dairy free
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
MORE TACO RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
If you like these easy fish tacos, you might want to check out some of our other awesome taco recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Easy Fish Tacos
- 400 g Icelandic Cod or any other flakey white fish
- 1⁄2 tsp garlic powder
- 1⁄2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 8-10 corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded red & green cabbage
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- handful chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- salt and pepper
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan to medium heat.
- Mix together the garlic powder, cumin and chilli powder then spread evenly onto both sides of the fish and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Put the fish filet in the pan and cook for about 3-5 minutes depending on the thickness of your fish. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes on the other side.
- While the fish cooks make the slaw by mixing together the shredded cabbage, green onions, mayo, cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat up the corn tortillas according to package directions.
- To serve the tacos, either flake the fish and serve family style alongside the slaw and any additional toppings, or build the tacos by adding some slaw and some fish to each tortilla.