Vegetable chow mein is the ultimate take out at home meal. These slightly crisp noodles topped with stir-fried veggies in a flavourful sauce are on the table in 25 minutes. Add your favourite protein for a complete meal.
My favourite dish for Chinese take out is Cantonese chow mein. There is something about stir-fried vegetables on top of noodles that is so comforting and satisfying. While I do love the noodles in the dish, I always wish there were more veggies that came with them.
Creating a take out at hone version of Cantonese chow mein, I definitely wanted to include more vegetables - and this healthy vegan version is full of them!
How to Make Vegetable Chow Mein
As with any other quick cooking meal, I like to gather and chop all my ingredients first.
Boil a large pot of water for cooking the chow mein noodles. I used fresh noodles and the cooking time was about a minute. Follow the package directions for the noodles that you are using.
When the noodles are cooked, drain them and rinse off any excess starch. I like to shake the strainer basket a few times to make sure that all the water is out of the noodles.
Heat a wok over high heat and add a tablespoon or two of oil to it.
Mix the sauce ingredient together in a small bowl.
Add the noodles to the wok and cook for a minute or two before flipping them and cooking the other side. You want to repeat this process a few times. The idea is to crisp up the noodles a bit.
When you have crisped up the noodles, transfer them to a serving dish.
Add all of the vegetable except the bok choy to the wok and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. You want the vegetables to heat through and brighten up only, not overcook them. Add the bok choy to the wok along with the sauce and stir-fry for a minute until the leaves begin to wilt.
Add the vegetable mixture to the top of the noodles in the serving dish.
This recipe for easy bean salad is suitable for the following diets:
- vegan and vegetarian
- clean eating
- dairy free
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
Want to see more recipes like this?? Sign up for our newsletter to have new recipes delivered to your inbox, follow us on Instagram or like our Facebook page.
More Vegetarian Noodle Recipes You'll Love
If you like this recipe for vegetable chow mein, you might want to check out some of our other awesome vegetarian noodle recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Vegetable Chow Mein
- 10 ounces chow mein noodles - Fresh if available
- 2 Tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 carrot - julienned
- 1⁄2 onion - sliced
- 6 cups chopped bok choy
- 2 Tablespoons vegetarian oyster sauce
- 2 Tablespoons tamari
- 2 Tablespoons Shaoxing wine
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 Tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the chw mein noodles. Cook for 1 minute if using fresh, or 2-3 minutes if using dried noodles. Drain and rinse the noodles.
- In a large wok over high heat, heat up the cooking oil. Add the noddles and spread out across the bottom of the wok. Cook the noodles for about 1 minute, and flip them over and cook for another. Repeat this process several times. We are working towards crisping up the noodles a bit.
- When your noodles are cooked, put them into a large serving dish, and put the wok back on the burner.
- In a small bowl, mix together the vegetarian oyster sauce, tamari, rice vinegar, Shaoxing wine, garlic, ginger and water. Set aside.
- Put a tablespoon of oil into the wok and add the broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, and onions. Stir fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add the bok choy to the wok and mix the bok choy into the stir-fried vegetables, until the leaves have just begun to wilt.
- Add the sauce to the vegetables and toss to coat. Cook for about 30 seconds, then add the vegetables and sauce to the top of the noodles and serve.
* nutritional information is calculated by online tools and may not be 100% accurate.
Chow Mein is one of my favorites when ordering out. This is a great recipe that can be made right at home for Meatless Mondays!
Thank you! It's definitely perfect for that 🙂
Tayler Ross says
I made this for dinner last night and it was a total hit with the whole family! Thanks for sharing!
I'm so happy you all enjoyed it 🙂
Haley D Williams says
I love all the veggies! Great way to eat in tonight rather than takeout! Dinner win!
What a fabulous looking meal! I love that the noodles are slightly crispy and such a healthy collection of veggies. I'm in!
It's all about the veggies 🙂
Looks so delicious and perfect for a healthy balanced dinner!
Thanks so much Natalie!! We strive to provide that around here 🙂
So easy and delicious! A new family favourite 🙂
I'm so happy to hear that 🙂
Super yummy recipe 🙂
Thanks so much!
Oh! This look sooo delicious! Have to try it out! Thanks for sharing!
You're welcome! Enjoy!
Chef Dennis says
My family will surely love your Vegetable Chow Mein!
We all love it around here 🙂
Mama Maggie's Kitchen says
My mouth is literally watering. I wish this was in front of me!
It's such a great dish!
Ksenia prints says
Such a pretty, vibrant recipe! I am in love.
is there a way I can do this without a wok?
is there a way to make it without a wok? i would love to make this but a wok is too expensive for our budget.