My favourite thing about summer is our weekly farmers market. Meeting local producers and vendors and supporting the businesses of our community is something that both James and I are passionate about.
Knowing that we are purchasing fresh, local food for our family is awesome just on its own, but what gets me extra excited about produce from the market are things like beet greens.
If your anything like me, before purchasing beets straight from the farm you probably didn't know beet greens were a thing - but now that we've found them roasted golden beets with wilted greens have made it into our weekly recipe rotation.
We get our beets with greens from the amazing Springh Farms. I can't say enough good things about both the freshness and quality of their produce but also the amazing service we always get when we visit their booth at the market.
Beet greens are slightly bitter, which make them an interesting flavour compliment to the earthy sweetness of the golden beets and the saltiness of the feta cheese in this recipe. They are a fairly delicate green and don't require a lot of cooking time for them to soften. If you can't find beet greens you can substitute for 10 oz of your favourite cooking green.
One of my favourite things about this recipe is that the ingredient list is simple which really allows the natural flavours of the beets, greens and feta to shine through. The preparation is quick and easy and although roasting the beets does takes some time its a set it and forget it step. Roasted Golden Beets with Wilted Greens is a recipe simple enough for an everyday meal but impressive enough to serve for a special occasion.
If you love beets and are looking for more ways to cook with them, check out our Roasted Winter Vegetable Bowl, or if you just love the flavour that roasting brings out of vegetables check out our Roasted Broccoli and White Bean Soup.
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Roasted Golden Beets with Wilted Greens
- 2 pounds golden beets with their greens
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil 2 for roasting the beets, 1 for satueeing the greens
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 ounce feta cheese crumbled
- salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 425
- Trim ends off of the beets and use a vegetable peeler to remove the rest of the beet skin.
- Slice beets into ½ inch slices.
- Add beets, olive oil, and maple syrup to a medium sized bowl and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat beet slices evenly.
- Place beets slices in a single layer on a large baking sheet. I like to use parchment paper here to keep the beets from sticking as well as to make clean up easier.
- Bake beets in the oven for 40 minutes
- While the beets are cooking, add a tablespoon or two of olive oil to a large saucepan and heat to medium heat.
- Trim the stalk ends off the beet greens and slice into 2 inch thick ribbons. What you are looking for is bite sized pieces of greens.
- Add a tablespoon or two of olive oil to the pan and add the beet greens, onion, garlic, and about ⅛ cup of water. Toss the greens in the pan until they wilt - about 4-5 minutes.
- Place the cooked beets on a serving tray, top with wilted greens and sprinkle with the crumbled feta to serve