The creamiest, easiest hummus recipe made without having to remove the shells from the chickpeas! Instant Pot and stovetop directions included.
***Originally posted Mar 19 2018
I was first taught to make hummus with a can of drained chickpeas, and I continued to make it this way for many years. What I could never sort out was what accounted for the difference in the texture between my homemade hummus, and the hummus I would have at restaurants and buy in grocery stores.
The hummus I made at home was always a bit more ‘rustic’. No matter how long I ran the mixture in the food processor, or what ratio of ingredients I used, I could never quite replicate the smooth, creamy texture of the hummus I was served in Middle Eastern restaurants.
Perhaps you have made hummus before, and you have noticed the same thing.
How do you make hummus creamy?
If you want to get the perfect creamy hummus the trick is in removing the ‘skin’ of each and every chickpea before you blend them up. I have definitely tried this, and the results are amazing, but it takes A LOT of time. More time than I think anyone wants to spend getting the perfect hummus, no matter how delicious it is.
A quick way around this that I have found is to use chana dal instead of chickpeas.
What is chana dal?
Chana is a varietal of chickpea that is grown in Pakistan, India, and other places in Southeast Asia. It is a bit smaller than the garbanzo bean that you may be used to, and it comes dried, split and without the skin!
If you have an ethnic food section in your grocery store, take a look for them there – you should be able to find them along with other dried beans. We get ours at our local Asian food store.
Believe me, they are a game changer when it comes to making hummus!
How to make chana dal hummus (Instant Pot directions)
Add the chickpeas and water to the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. There may be extra water in the pot when the chana dal has finished cooking. If there is, drain this out.
Transfer the cooked chickpeas to a food processor along with the rest of the ingredients. Process for 5 minutes or until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
How to make chana dal hummus (Stovetop directions)
Add the chana dal to a large pot and cover with water by 2 inches. Cover and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the chana dal is soft.
Strain the water from the chana dal, and place them into a food processor along with the remainder of the ingredients.
Process for 5 minutes or until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
This recipe for chana dal hummus is suitable for the following diets:
- vegan and vegetarian
- clean eating
- gluten free, dairy free, and allergy friendly
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
MORE EASY HEALTHY RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
If you like this chana dal hummus recipe, you might want to check out some of our other easy healthy recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Chana Dal Hummus
* This recipe card may contain affiliate links to products we know and love. We earn a small commission on qualified sales at no cost to you.
- 1 cup chana dahl (split chickpeas) (dried)
- 4 Tablespoons tahini
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- Add the dried chickpeas to a pressure cooker with 3 cups of water. Cook for 15 mins. There may be extra water when the chickpeas have finished cooking. If there is, drain the water from the chickpeas
- Transfer the cooked chickpeas to a food processor. Add the rest of the ingredients. Process on high for 5 minutes, or until the mixture is smooth and creamy
- Add the chana dal to a pot and cover with water by a couplke of inches.
- Cover the pot and bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cook the chana dal for 25-30 minutes or until it is soft.
- Drain the water from the chana dal, place in a food processor along with the remaining ingredients and process for 5 minutes or until the mixture is smooth.