This easy to make and easy to roll thin crust pizza dough makes homemade pizza a breeze! Add sauce, cheese and your favourite toppings to enjoy gourmet style pizza at home.
I really love pizza. It's right up there somewhere near the top of the list of my absolute favourite foods.
I am also a bit opinionated about what makes a great pizza. I mean any pizza is better than no pizza at all, but I do have some expectations that need to be met to qualify for a great slice.
The first on the list: a thin and crispy crust.
In the pursuit of making the most excellent pizza at home, I've tried more than several recipes for pizza dough that I've found on the internet, and none of them have really made me all that excited. To be honest, I've never found anything that I've even considered worth the effort and so my go-to for homemade pizza usually has been pizza dough from the bakery section in my supermarket. This is also just okay in my books. Most of the bakery store dough I've run across is fairly tasty, but I've always found it a bit challenging to roll out in the thin-crust style I prefer.
My life has recently been changed though with the discovery of this recipe which is the best thin crust pizza dough I've ever made. Seriously.
This recipe turns out pizza dough that is perfect every darn time. It's simple to make, and better yet - easy to roll out. Flavourful and with the right amount of 'chew'.
It's 100% perfect, and will have you ditching the store bought dough in no time.
How to make thin-crust pizza dough
You can make this dough by hand, or with a stand mixer. I will suggest going with the stand mixer if you have one though unless you are looking for a bit of an arm workout.
Mixing dough with a stand mixer:
Put the flour, salt, yeast and water into the mixing bowl with the dough hook attached and mix at medium speed until the dough has almost come together then add the olive oil.
Continue mixing until a nice ball has formed.
Turn up the speed a bit and knead the dough for 3-4 minutes, or until it has become smooth and pillowy to touch.
Mixing the dough by hand:
Add the flour, salt, yeast and water into a large mixing bowl.
Using a spatula mix the ingredients until they have almost combined then add the olive oil.
Continue to mix the dough in the bowl by hand until the oil has integrated nicely into the dough.
Sprinkle some flour on a clean counter and turn the dough out onto it.
Using your hands knead the dough on the counter for 5-10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and pillowy while you work with it.
For both methods:
Transfer the dough to a clean and dry bowl then cover tightly with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for the dough to rise and double in size. This will take a couple of hours at least, so it's best to get the dough made in the morning if you're planning on pizza at night.
How to make thin crust pizza with the dough
When your dough is ready to go, divide it into 2 equal halves.
Lightly flour your counter, place the dough in front of you then begin pressing the dough out into a round pizza shape with your fingers.
The dough should be easy to work with and should press out nicely.
Pick up a rolling pin (I like a nice wooden one because you can evenly press your weight across it and roll the dough out better) and begin rolling the dough out from one side of the pizza to the other.
Rotate the dough or the rolling pin 90° then roll from side to side again evening out the circle shape.
Continue rolling this way until the pizza has reached the desired size. I roll mine about 14 inches in diameter - which is a REALLY thin crust.
As you continue to roll the pizza dough you will need to flip it and re-flour the surface from time to time to keep the dough from sticking to the counter.
When you are ready to cook your pizza fold the dough in half to make a semi circle, then fold it in half again to form a triangle of dough that is quarter pizza shaped.
Lift the dough and place onto the pizza pan or pizza stone (highly recommend) with the tip of the triangle in the centre of the pan or stone, then unfold the dough right into place.
Top with sauce and cheese and the toppings of your choice then bake in an oven heated to 500℉ for about 10 minutes.
DIETARY CONSIDERATIONS AND ACCOMMODATIONS
This thin crust pizza dough is suitable for the following diets:
- vegan & vegetarian
Are you on Pinterest? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas.
Want to see more recipes like this?? Sign up for our newsletter to have new recipes delivered to your inbox, follow us on Instagram or like our Facebook page.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE!
If you like this pizza dough, you might want to check out some of our other dough and pizza recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Thin Crust Pizza Dough
* This recipe card may contain affiliate links to products we know and love. We earn a small commission on qualified sales at no cost to you.
- Place the flour, salt, yeast and water in the mixing bowl and attach the dough hook.
- Mix the dough at a medium speed until it has almost come together then add the olive oil.
- Mix the dough until a ball has formed.
- When the dough ball has formed, increase the speed and knead the dough for 3-4 minutes or until the dough is smooth and pillowy to touch.
- Place the dough in a clean and dry bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm area for about 3 hours. The dough will have doubled in size when it is ready.
To make pizza:
- divide the dough in two and place on a lightly floured surface. using your fingers, begin pressing the first dough ball into a round pizza shape.
- Using a floured wooden roller begin rolling the dough out from one side to the other. Rotate the dough or the roller 90 degrees and do the same in this direction to even out the shape of the pizza.
- Flip the dough over, sprinkle with flour, then continue working this way to roll out the dough until it is the desired thickness you like.
- Top with sauce, cheese, and toppings then bake for 10 minutes at 500℉ in the oven.
Mixing by hand:
- Place the flour, salt, yeast and water in a bowl then mix using a spatula until it begins to come together.
- Add the olive oil then continue mixing using your hands to turn and press the dough until a mix clean ball has formed.
- Lightly flour a clean surface then place the dough on the counter.
- Knead the dough with your hands for about 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and pillowy to the touch.