Spanish chicken and rice is an easy one pot meal your whole family will love! Smokey seasoned chicken thighs cook with Spanish rice in a Dutch oven in this easy hands off meal.
You know that I'm all about delicious easy to make meals. Lately I've been obsessed with chicken and rice bakes. They're very easy to throw together and the chicken and rice bake together in one pot. Just add a veggie or quick side salad and you're ready to go.
This Spanish chicken and rice bake came together when I had some chicken thighs to make for dinner and not much else going on in the fridge. Dinner was a huge hit that night, so here we are!
This is not entirely an authentic Spanish chicken and rice recipe. Most of the flavours are traditionally Spanish (paprika, olives, red pepper) but the turmeric in here is not something that is usually used in Spanish cuisine. I don't regularly keep safron around and I find that turmeric is a great substitute and gives the same beautiful yellow colour that you get from safron.
The Perfect Easy Chicken Dinner
Once you taste this Spanish chicken and rice I know you're going to be as hooked as we are, but if you need some more convincing let me tell you all the other reasons you're going to love this dish!
- All the cooking happens in one pot. Perfect for minimal clean up!
- The ingredients are likely in your pantry already
- 5 minutes of prep time then off to the oven to bake - no stirring or watching required
- The recipe is super flexible. Trade the roasted red peppers for fresh, or leave them out entirely. Swap the black olives for green.
How to make it
Preheat your oven to 350℉ and heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat on your stovetop then add a bit of oil to it.
As the pot heats up, chop up your onion, roasted red pepper and olives then season your chicken thighs with the paprika, cumin and turmeric as well as a good dose of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Flatten out the chicken thighs then place the thighs in. Brown the first side for about 2 minutes, then flip the chicken over and brown the second side.
When the chicken is browned, remove it from the pot and reduce the heat a bit to medium.
Add the onion and garlic and saute for a couple of minutes then add the squeezed lemon juice. Use a wooden spoon or another utensil to lift the browned bits from the bottom of the pan as you stir the onions.
Add the red pepper and olives and saute a minute or two.
Pour in the canned tomatoes, chicken stock and the rice and the give it all a good stir to mix before placing the browned chicken thighs on top of it all.
Place the lid on the pot and transfer to the oven and let it bake for 30 minutes.
Remove from the oven and serve.
Are you on Pinterest? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas.
Want to see more recipes like this?? Sign up for our newsletter to have new recipes delivered to your inbox, follow us on Instagram or like our Facebook page.
Want to see more recipes like this?
If you like this Spanish chicken and rice bake, you might want to check out some of our other easy dinner recipes!
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
One Pot Spanish Chicken and Rice
* This recipe card may contain affiliate links to products we know and love. We earn a small commission on qualified sales at no cost to you.
- 8 chicken thighs (boneless and skinless)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- sea salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1⁄2 lemon (juice of)
- 1 roasted red pepper (diced)
- 1.5 cups rice
- 1 can Rotel (or diced tomaotes)
- 1.5 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup chopped black olives
- Season the chicken thighs with the paprika, turmeric and cumin as well as sea salt and ground pepper.
- Add olive oil to a dutch oven and heat to medium heat. Sear both sides of the chicken thighs then remove from the pan.
- Add the onions and garlic then saute until tender.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into the skillet and deglaze the pan.
- Add the rice, stock, roasted red pepper, tomatoes and olives then stir well to combine.
- Place the chicken thighs on top of the rice then place the lid on the dutch oven.
- Bake in the oven at 350℉ for 30 minutes.