Buffalo sauce coated shredded chicken and blue cheese add a spicy and flavourful twist to classic nachos. Perfect for entertaining or even as an easy meal, Buffalo chicken nachos are a fun dish for anyone who loves Buffalo sauce.
We are big fans of hot wings and Buffalo sauce and we love to go out for wing night or cook them at home. There is just something so addicting about the spice and creaminess of Buffalo sauce!.
I had a craving for nachos and wanted to make a meal out of them and play with the flavours a little bit. With our love for hot wings I figured topping the nachos with Buffalo dipped shredded chicken and adding some blue cheese would make a great twist.
It turned out I was right! Everyone loved the extra oomph that the spicy chicken brought to the nachos and the blue cheese was an extra level of flavour that really brought the full Buffalo wing experience to these nachos.
This recipe calls for cooked shredded chicken breasts. If you already have some on hand, great, you're halfway there. If not, you can quickly cook some chicken in your Instant Pot if you have one or set some extra time to bake some in the oven.
Why you're going to love this
- great party food - if you've got a crowd that loves hot wings and nachos these nachos make a great snack.
- fun easy dinner - if you keep cooked chicken breasts around this recipe only takes 20 minutes to get on the table. Perfect for a quick and easy dinner that's guaranteed to please!
- tortilla chips - I used cantina style because they are a bit thicker and smaller and less prone to breaking, but you can use whatever tortillas you like.
- hot sauce - my favourite hot sauce to use in a Buffalo sauce is a Louisana style sauce and Franks is my favourite.
- butter - it's what gives Buffalo sauce it's rich and creamy flavour.
- pepper - not necessary, but I like that it adds a bit of depth and extra spice to the sauce.
- cheese - I used marble, but you can use whatever your favourite nacho cheese is.
- tomato, onion, black olives - these are a few of my favourite nacho toppings, but feel free to add whatever you love best!
- blue cheese - like the classic Buffalo wing sauce, blue cheese is recommended for the full Buffalo flavour experience.
- guacamole - if you're anything like us, you can't have nachos without a batch of homemade guacamole.
- cilantro - optional, but recommended!
How to make them:
Make the Buffalo sauce. Melt your butter, and the hot sauce and ground pepper then mix really well with a whisk to combine the sauce.
Add the chicken to the sauce. Add the shredded chicken to the hot Buffalo sauce and stir well so that it's evenly coated. Set the pot aside until your ready to build the nachos.
- Build the nachos. Start by lining a baking sheet with some parchment paper then add the tortillas across the it in a single layer. Top with the shredded cheese and then spread the Buffalo chicken across the nachos. Sprinkle the tomato, onion, and black olives over top.
Bake then finish the nachos. Place the tray in the oven and bake until all the cheese is melty and the tortillas begin to brown. When you remove the tray from the oven, sprinkle with the blue cheese and cilantro. For an extra flavour boost, also drizzle on some ranch dressing. To serve you'll want to use the parchment paper to pull the nachos off the baking sheet and transfer it to a serving dish that is not hot from being in the oven.
Tips for the best nachos
single layer - laying out the tortillas in a single layer makes sure that all tortillas get covered in cheese and toppings, the tortillas are great, but we are all really here for the toppings.
shred your own cheese - pre-shredded cheese is coated with cellulose to keep it from clumping. This also prevents it from getting pully when it's melted and great nachos are all about the cheese pull.
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Buffalo Chicken Nachos
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken breast - about 2 small breasts
- 8 Tablespoon Lousiana style hot sauce
- 4 Tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 350 g tortilla chips
- 1.5 cups shredded marble cheese
- 1⁄2 cup diced white onion
- 1⁄3 cup sliced black olives
- 2 tbsp crumbled blue cheese
- 1 roma tomato - diced
To make the Buffalo chicken:
- Melt the butter over low heat in a medium sized pot. When the butter is melted add the hot sauce and ground pepper then whisk with the butter until the sauce has combined.
- Add the shredded chicken to the pot and mix well until it is evenly coated with the Buffalo sauce.
To make the nachos:
- Spread out the nachos across a sheet pan. Cover with cheese and then the Buffalo chicken.
- Sprinkle the onions, tomatoes, and black olives evenly over the naachos.
- Bake in the oven at 425ºF for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbling and the nacho edges have browned.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the blue cheese amd cilantro.
- Drizzle with ranch dressing and serve with a bowl of gaucamole.
- Laying out the tortillas in a single layer makes sure that all tortillas get covered in cheese and toppings, the tortillas are great, but we are all really here for the toppings.
- Pre-shredded cheese is coated with cellulose to keep it from clumping. This also prevents it from getting pully when it's melted and great nachos are all about the cheese pull. For the best nachos, shred your own cheese.
* nutritional information is calculated by online tools and may not be 100% accurate.