Savoury steel cut oats with chimichurri are an easy and healthy vegan breakfast. Quickly cook your steel cut oats using an Instant Pot and top with sauteed mushrooms, Swiss chard and homemade chimichurri for a delicious savory vegan breakfast.
Savoury steel cut oats have become a staple in our house, and once we made this sauce, we wanted a way to incorporate it into a breakfast meal. Topping our breakfast oats with it was a natural fit.
If you haven’t had steel cut oats before, they are a perfect way to start your day. Cooking them stove top in the traditional method can take a fair amount of time (30-40 minutes if you haven’t pre-soaked the oats), but cooking the oats in an Instant Pot makes them an easy option for a weekday breakfast.
These breakfast oats are:
- filling and full of protein to keep you full
- a great way to get more vegetables in your diet
- a great way to use leftover chimichurri sauce
Cooking oats in the Instant Pot only takes 8 mins (plus the time it takes the machine to get to and release pressure). We first set the oats to cook, then begin to chop the vegetables while the oats are cooking. When you get into the flow of it, you can have perfectly cooked steel cut oats on your plate for breakfast in 20 mins – with most of the time spent with the Instant Pot doing the work for you.
If you do not have an Instant Pot, you can cook the oats on the stove top – it will just take a lot longer, and you will need to increase the total water added to the oats to at least 2 cups. For instructions on how to cook the oats on the stove check out this article.
This recipe for easy bean salad is suitable for the following diets:
- vegan and vegetarian
- clean eating
- gluten free, dairy free, and allergy friendly
Are you on Pinterest????? Follow me for more fresh and tasty recipe ideas
More breakfast recipes you’ll love
If you like these steel cut oats with chimichurri you might want to check out some of our other delicious and healthy breakfast recipes:
If you have made this recipe we’d love to see it! Tag us on Insta @loveandgoodstuff.
Loved this? Don’t forget to rate it below!
Savoury Steel Cut Oats with Chimichurri
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cups Swiss chard
- 4 oz cremini mushrooms
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Put the oats, almond milk, water and salt in the Instant Pot and set to cook on high pressure for 8 mins.
- Add the coconut oil to a medium sauce pan and heat to medium high heat. Slice the mushrooms, and cut the chard into bite sized pieces.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan and cook until browned - about 5- 7 minutes. Add the chard and stir until the greens have just wilted. Remove the pan from the heat.
- When the oats have cooked and sat for a couple minutes for the pressure to naturally reduce, remove the lid from the instant pot and stir the nutritional yeast and tahini into the oats
- Divide the oats between two bowls and top each with half of the mushroom and greens mixture